Saturday 27 February 2021

Saturday Sightings of Spring - 7

This is my weekly report on progress on the cushion in silk and felt that I am making. The design is Jacquie Harvey's Promise of Spring, but I have made changes in the instructions. 


I would say that I have completed the embroidery stitching on the leaves, or should I whip the Buttonhole stitch on the leaf...?




Maybe I will add a sequin or some metallic thread for a little extra sparkle, just to get better balance.

The next step should have been to quilt in Kantha style (Running Stitch in eco quilting, inspired by Indian Kantha work), but after looking at the size and how to construct the cushion, I changed my plan. 

As the piece of silk I am working on was irregular, I have cut off some pieces and patched them together in the shape I want the cushion to be. 

This has left me with an ugly seam on what is to become the back. Better hide the seam with a bit of felt appliqué and decorative embroidery similar to the front. 


The Kantha quilting will have to wait.

..................

Sightings of Spring is actually Smells of Spring - the Sweet Daphne is in fragrant bloom in Tokyo.

What a pity we walk around with masks on!




6 comments:

Shami Immanuel said...

There are so many details in your spring cushion. Lovely cushion it is. I am working on a neck pattern using running stitch. May be next week it will be on my blog.

Pamela said...

Wonderful details! I can imagine it is hard to know when to stop.

jacaranda said...

I am always in awe of your beautiful stitching, such stunning work.

Angela said...

Oh, I love what you have stitched! I am not sure I would have thought to applique wool onto silk but it sure looks good.

Rachel said...

Such a good idea to add a detail to conceal that seam!

Tanya said...

You are making that cushion into a work of art! I am so impressed! I really love how you've interpreted the original design. I think the designer would be interested in how you've embellished it too.