Today we have an evening class here at Sunday Stitch School and will focus on a combination stitch from Totsuka Embroidery Stitch Book 8 (Arrangements with Lazy Daisy Stitch).
The books in this series are filled with variations of basic embroidery stitches. In this volume of Detached Chain Stitch, also known as Lazy Daisy Stitch, there are many interesting ways to vary the basic stitch.
Very few of these combinations have been given a name, I will nickname today's stitch Chained Sheaf Stitch as it is made up of three Straight stitches tied together with a Detached Chain Stitch, in a way similar to the bundled up Sheaf Stitch.
Updated: Mattia gives me the French name: point de gerbe enchainé
Have you seen this stitch before? Do you know if it has an official name? Please let me know if you do, and I will change to the correct name. Until then, here is the instructions for Chained Sheaf Stitch:
Make horisontal Straight Stitch x 3,
then come out at the middle of the top stitch.
Make a Detached Chain Stitch
right over the three stitches.
Anchor the stitch at the bottom.
You can use this stitch to make a little butterfly or winged bug.
Vary the length of the horisontal stitches,
and take the needle out in the middle of the stitch.
Pull the tread until you have gathered the stitches.
Add a pair of feelers.
Or a French Knot for a head...
Infest these samplers with winged creatures, or simple Chained Sheafs.
This is an easy, yet difficult stitch.
It is easily made up of a line of Running stitches, long on top with a very small bite on the back. The difficulty is in making the slanted Straight stitches equally long and at even angle.
It is easier on Aida or counted weave, very hard on plain weave, where I confess to using a ruler.
The report on progress this Wednesday is one of backward rather than forward.
Rip, rip, rip.... I have been ripping up the woollen yarn of my Tvistsöm embroidery cushion and the Glowing Stars
project can now R.I.P. (Rest In Peace)
I could for my life not make the pattern fit, the triangles and the stars did not meet where they were supposed to.
Furthermore I noticed some flaws; I had worked some of the crosses with the long arm from left to right and the others from right to left.
When I first learned the Tvistsöm stitches, it was such a delight to work the Sunday Stitch lessons and the samplers and I got inspired to start on the cushion.
Work on the cushion was OK until I started to add a few stitches here and there in different colours. It slowed down the process and I just got lost in the pattern.
Tvistsöm is SO different from ordinary Cross Stitch. There one stitch is a square, in Tvistsöm one stitch is a parallelogram (like an italic rectangle). Keeping track of the stitches on the graph pattern was difficult.
So I ripped up every stitch and fumed at the waste of yarn and time as I laid the Glowing Stars to R.I.P.
I will start all over again but with a pattern of blocks of colour. Hopefully I will enjoy it better and the result will be acceptable.
I have finished the three last blocks.
The next step will be to assemble the blocks before I can add the embroidery.
Because I spent so much time on ripping up the cushion embroidery, I have not had time to add more than two stitches on the Freeform Embroidery: Woven Cross and Chinese Cross.