Tuesday 2 February 2021

Hina Matsuri - Doll Festival 2021

You might remember that I make three new ornaments for my 'Hanging Hina Dolls' every year. Read more about this Japanese tradition of displaying dolls on Girls' Day under the tag HINA, see above.


From dark purple chirimen (kimono crepe silk) I made an aubergine (eggplant). This fruit/vegetable is called nasu (なす) in Japanese. The same sound, but written in a different way (成す), means to achieve, do something successfully. So the aubergine ornament is a symbolic wish for your daughter's success in anything she pursues.

I also made a mirror, which is seen as an important item for a girl!
In olden times, mirrors were always covered with a cloth or lid. 
A lady once explained to me that the cover was important to keep the mirror clean and free from dust - a stained or dusty mirror not only tarnish your beauty, but also reflects a glum personality.
According to this article:  'Mirrors: many Japanese cover their bedroom mirrors at night fearing that a woman from another world will come through and take them away or take all the energy from their bodies while sleeping, causing death!' 
I think I prefer the first explanation why a mirror should be covered when not in use. 
My mirror is clean and gleaming, but there is no cover. Do I have to make a lid for it, do you think?

The third item made is a traditional sweet served at Hina Doll Festival. This confectionery, made from steamed and pounded rice, is called Hishi-mochi. It is always coloured in pink, red and green, and cut into a rhombus shape. Read more abut this confectionary here.

There are now 85 ornaments in my Hina mobile. They will be on display until the main day of the festival, March 3rd. 

The tradition is that the dolls should be packed away as soon as possible after that date, in order for your daughter to get married early.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

That idea of creatures from another world sucking the life out of the unaware crops up all over the world, doesn't it. I wonder what it says about the human psyche? Or do I not want to know?!

Lyn Warner said...

So interesting to hear about the significance of your Hina ornaments! I love the purple silk of the aubergine. It's beautiful and the perfect colour too.

jacaranda said...

Your Hina mobile is incredible with your beautiful handmade ornaments. Japan has wonderful and interesting traditions and I enjoy reading about them.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Oh these are the sweetest ornaments. I look forward to seeing what you make each year to add to your already stunning mobile! I'd never heard that folklore about mirrors (I don't think you need a cover;).

Tanya said...

You got those done so quickly! Your eggplant looks very realistic and I never knew about the play on words for nasu. Just lovely.

carorose said...

What a collection. And mounting them in a mobile iw inspired.

crazyQstitcher said...

A beautiful Hina mobile. The new additions are great- Thank you for the interesting explanations. Though they would be lovely to be exposed for longer, the short period gives more delight when re-viewing.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

It must be a dusty mirror that has tarnished my beauty :-)