Sunday 21 March 2021

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 165: Lazy Daisy Popcorn Stitch

I have two sources for today's stitch. First I found it in Sadako Totsuka's Basic Stitch (基礎のステッチ). She calls it Lazy Daisy Popcorn Stitch.

I later came across it, or a very similar version, on YouTube, where it goes under the name of Pop Corn Stitch. 

There are slight differences in how the stitch is worked.



Below are my pictures based on Ms Totsuka's instructions.
Start with a Lazy Daisy Stitch.

Instead of anchoring it, make loose loops by 
taking the needle under the Lazy Daisy Stitch.

Use a pin to make the loops an even length.


Make three loops.


Then insert the needle in the loops and

by following the black line in the 
picture, make a knot.



Anchor it near the pin.


Here you can see how the choice of thread 
can change the impression; tightly twisted rope like thread 
gives a stiff look. Six strands of stranded floss 
fluffs it up.

By anchoring further up, under the loops,
you get more of the popcorn look, I think.


Homework:
Work on the three samplers.








10 comments:

Angela said...

Oh! Cool stitch! Thank you, I definitely have to give it try!

Janie said...

The Lazy Daisy Popcorn Stitch is fabulous! It looks great in yellow for flowers, hair and yes, popcorn, maybe scrambled eggs? Excellent addition I think.

Pamela said...

I haven’t seen this stitch before. Very interesting!

Rachel said...

Well, that's a new one. Hmmm... feather boas, flowers?

Radka said...

Wow, the Pop Corn stitch is very effective! Worth knowing..
x

crazyQstitcher said...

I like this stitch, also. I prefer your interpretation and will try it soon.

carorose said...

I have been looking for a stitch like this to stitch Grevillia flowers. I will give it a try.

Annet said...

This looks like a very tricky stitch!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I've not done this one, looks like it could be very useful for some things.

Tanya said...

Wow! That one looks really complicated!