Saturday 6 March 2021

Saturday Sightings of Spring - 8

 Based on a Jacquie Harvey design, 


I am making a cushion with embroidery on top of felt on a silk foundation.

This past week I have been working on the back, where I needed to cover an unsightly seam.



Those readers who are familiar with Japan can see that instead of a Shisha mirror I have inserted a 100-yen coin in the middle of the flower.
The back of the coin has a motif of cherry blossoms - a sure sighting of spring, if any.


For better balance on the front I placed a few sparkly things here and there.
Among them bugle beads,

and a floral sequin.

Next week I will get started on the quilting.

.............
Sightings of spring. I saw these flowers in the park one day. What are they called? Does anyone know?






7 comments:

Pamela said...

Nice idea to use the coin! Great details on this piece.

Shami Immanuel said...

The cushion is coming up nicely. Minute detailing on all the flowers and leaves. Is it granitos stitch next to the juggle beads? Granitos stitch is in my list for the next embroidery design.

crazyQstitcher said...


A wonderful combination of silk, felt and embroidery. Your projects with threads and fabric are always so eye catching. I like the coin as a flower centre.
Could the flowers be primulas? I found online, a primula algida that looks similar.

Rachel said...

That coin has a lovely motif on it - what a charming idea!

Angela said...

I love the idea of using a coin! I am going to have to steal this idea!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Lovely sightings of Spring. The pink flowers remind me of primroses but they usually have quite large leaves so they may not be.

Tanya said...

The coin idea is neat but that will get expensive if you use too many of them. 1 yen coin maybe... but the 1 yen definitely isn't as pretty!