Sunday 17 January 2021

Sunday Stitch school - Lesson 157: Invented Stitch (Cross)

Do you sometimes have problems interpreting instructions? I am sure most of us have at one time or another followed instructions, either written or illustrated, only to find the result didn't look right.

That was the case when I tried the Invented Stitch from Arts & Design. The drawing of the completed stitch looked so neat, but however many times I followed the text or the step-by-step illustrations, my result looked nothing like the sort.

I found the situation even more confusing when I read the text and also looked at the pictures. By following only one set at a time, I suddenly had two different stitches.

In the end I had three different stitches - and they all looked great. Three for the cost of one, so to speak.

I will introduce them to you one by one, in three consecutive lessons. Let's start with # 157 Invented Stitch (Cross).

Combining a Stem Stitch with a Buttonhole Stitch that is pulled askew you get this neat individual stitch. Keep on going and you have a straight barbed wire look.


Work it like this:

Notice the holes used on the Aida cloth.

Make a Stem Stitch where you take the needle out slightly above the stitched line.




Take a Straight Stitch on the other side of the stitched line

Keep the thread under the needle, to make a Buttonhole Stitch, and pull through.


Now pull the thread back across the Stem Stitch, and insert the needle on the upper side of the stitched thread, forming a cross.



It is beautiful as an individual stitch, or

continue in the same way for a neat line.


Homework:
Add to the samplers














5 comments:

Rachel said...

I would complain about the diagramming and instruction writing, except that three new stitches for the price of one seems a pretty good deal!!

Pamela said...

Cute little stitch!

crazyQstitcher said...

I like it already and look forward to the next two.

Annet said...

This is a lovely stitch. I think I would make it with a straight stitch with a cross stitch on top. I'm looking forward to your other variations.

Tanya said...

It does look complicated! I sometimes just give up on an instruction and am POSITIVE that it is not my fault but that the instruction has been misprinted. I usually (always?) find out that the fault of course is not with the instructions...