Saturday 16 January 2021

Saturday Sightings of Spring - 1

This is the first Saturday since I launched this spring project, based on Jacquie Harvey's pattern for a cushion - 'Promise of Spring'.


Anyone who wants to make use of the pattern and instructions, contact me and I will send you the pdf file.

I have decided to work the pattern in felt on silk, and with plenty of embroidery, in the style of Fay Maxwell. 

Do you know this British most inventive textile artist? In the video below you will get to know her, as well as see examples of her 'Crewel and Unusual' embroidery style which I am adopting for my cushion. 

Most of the video is focusing on one of her other techniques, slashing fabric. The video is about half an hour long and well worth watching.



Now back to Queenie's 'Saturday Sightings of Spring'.

The paper parts were cut out. They in turn aided the cutting out of the felt parts.



The foundation silk was backed with a thin cotton (to support the embroidery). 


The picture was built and pinned down.



All parts were basted in place and the pins removed.
This is as fas as the indoor signs of spring can be seen.

Outside, in nature, the sightings of spring include buds forming on the hydrangea. Isn't the contrast beautiful, the pistachio green buds against the decaying leaves of last year?



4 comments:

Pamela said...

Amazing start! It must have taken a lot of time to cut out all those small pieces.

Rachel said...

That's a great start - so full of colour. A vibrant and cheerful project to cheer this peculiar year!

jacaranda said...

Lovely new project, love your colour choices. Sadly my hydrangea didn’t flower this season.

Tanya said...

So much work! Funny, I've never thought of using felt... I'm sure that would be easier to get than the wool that I've wanted to work with. Your cushion is going to be so cheering!