Monday 30 August 2021

May I Suggest ... Monday?

Every Monday I want to promote blog reading. The names of blogs I like have been written on pieces of paper, and today I picked two slips of paper from my box. 


Trish Burr is the Queen of Shading, there is no other title for her. I am sure many of you are already familiar with Trish's wonderful work. If not here you can see her lifelike embroidery of Long and Short Stitch, Satin Stitch and Knots, that make it so true to reality it is almost unbelievable.
You will be able to see her latest work, join online classes, shop her books, designs and iron on transfers as well as linen and thread, and more. Enjoy!

is kept by my friend Julie. She is American and has lived in Japan much longer than I have. We met through a common friend and together have visited quilt shows in Tokyo and Yokohama several times. I have seen some of her work 'in the flesh' and can vouch for the quality and beauty of everything she makes.

Julie is a traditional quilter, basing her quilts on old and well known quilt pattern, then selecting fabric from her stash with a trained hand. There is usually a great number of prints and various hues in her quilts, but they all blend in harmony. Cozy and homespun are two words that would describe her patchwork quilts.

Who does she quilt for? Other people! Julie is one of the most generous quilters I know, she donates almost all her work, gives quilts to members of her church, often as a farewell gift when they return to their home country, banners for her Church, Big Girl quilts for her granddaughters, small gifts for her neighbours and friends...

My Quilt Diary also records other things in Julie's busy life.  You can read about her involvement with the Scouts, choir practice, volunteer work to help the homeless of Tokyo, and her battle against weeds in a local park and the litter and fallen leaves along her street.
Julie is also an authority on trees, plants and birds. Go to her if you want to know the name of something in Latin! This expertise is also practical - she can make the most stubborn plant thrive and her collection of cacti repay the TLC (or neglect, when needed!) she gives them by showing off their fantastic bloom.

This is a blog well worth visiting, again and again.


 

5 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I love reading about our Julie and you are spot on in describing her!

Pamela said...

I have recently been getting acquainted with Julie through our blogs and I am pleased to get to know her.

Rachel said...

Following those links now, thanks!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Trish Burrs work is so neat. Lovely quilts by your friend Julia.

Tanya said...

Julie is so special! All her handwork is amazing.