Friday 26 May 2023

Friday Homework for Lesson 251: Frilled Buttonhole Stitch

Do some of you remember TAST stitch #40 Buttonhole Wheel Cup?



Frilled Buttonhole could be mistaken for Buttonhole Wheel Cup, especially if you only make one row of Detached Buttonhole Stitch along the edge of the Buttonhole Wheel.

The biggest and best difference is that Frilled Buttonhole St is made in sections, petals if you like.

Four petals together in a circle would make a 'wheel'.




There is another big difference. When making the Buttonhole Wheel Cup, you work your way around a circle, left to right. 

At the end of the wheel, you can simply continue to add the Buttonhole stitches, in the same direction, left to right, (I used purple thread for clarity).



When you make the Frilled Buttonhole Stitch, however, you work backwards, right to left.



This makes the thread twist and the stitches will tend to misbehave, see below.


If you, on the other hand, anchor the stitch at the right end and start the Detached Buttonhole edge from the left, you get a much more even edge.


Compare!


Well, when you make flowers ANY design is OK, so you can make the Frilled Buttonhole Stitch with a  straight, tidy edge, or a twisted, wonky one.

Aida Sampler


Sunday Stitch School Reference Chart


Mottled Wool Scribble Cloth



I am so glad I started this Sunday Stitch School as it is a challenge and I have learned so much.



4 comments:

Janie said...

Wow! Google let me comment, surprise! Perfect time of the year for more flower possibilities. I like the frilled buttonhole stitch twisted or straight.
And your progress looks great. I'm inspired.

Anonymous said...

I like the straight tidy edge.
Pamela

Angela said...

I like it done both ways! A little wonky is always good in my opinion!

Rachel said...

The trick is in remembering that both are available, to ensure that you take full advantage of ALL the possibilities!