Thursday 31 March 2022

Tokyo Quilt Show

It's been such a long time, not being able to visit a quilt show, not being able to meet up with quilting friends...

Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival that was held in Tokyo Dome for many years, and that I have given many reports from, was halted by the pandemic in 2021. Then scrapped a year later, never to appear again. Sigh! 

Needless to say the quilting community missed that show, as everyone wants to see quilts and shop at a gathering of traders, (quilt shops are few and far apart in Japan). Also to have an excuse to meet friends in person whom you might only have had contact with through social media in the last two years.

So in a small exhibition venue in Tokyo, Japan Quilt Society organised a show for four days.

 I am happy we have returned to some form of normal, but must admit I was a bit disappointed with the works on display. Many of the famous quilters were exhibiting their work, but we have seen most of these quilts before. 

For example Yoko Sekita (関田陽子) showed her hilarious Spring Midnight quilt. I took this picture of it at Tokyo Dome in 2014.

The reason I used this old photo is that photography of these VIP quilters' quilts was not allowed at Tokyo Quilt Show! Funny, as they were not 'protected' in that way at quilt shows in the past.

Seven of the most famous heavyweight master quilters (sensei) had a booth each to display some quilts. For example, Noriko Nozawa (野沢典子). Here again, were quilts that we have admired before.


New for this event were smaller pieces, like these embroideries.
Photography was permitted at this section!

Maybe because the show was not advertised early, or well enough, there were only few entries in a contest called Treasure Quilt Contest Vol. 1 (I hope there will be Vol. 2 and 3 and .... for future contests).

Unfortunately I did not take pictures of the winning quilts. Luckily you can see them in Pamela's report at Hokkaido Kudasai.

Anyway, here are some of the works:, and yes, it was OK to take pictures of them.

Happy Tree by Kazue Miyade (宮手一恵)



Four-Patch's Parade by Fumiko Higuchi (樋口文子)


青の輝きby Yoko Aoe (青江洋子)






Colorful Stones by Kazuyo Ishii (石井和代)



橋をかける by Emiko Yakushiji (薬師寺恵美子)

Nocturne by Masako Masukura (桝蔵昌子)

薔薇のガーデンに蝶が舞う by Hiromi Suzuki (鈴木裕美)
Notice all the butterflies on this Hawaiian quilt.


It was lovely to meet my friends, and I hope to do so again at World Quilt Festival 2022 in Pacifico Yokohama. This show will be held 3rd - 5th November, this year. Keep an eye out for Japan Quilt Society https://japan-quilt.com

I did not leave the show empty-handed. Here is what I bought:

These are gifts:
The newest gadget from Clover, basting pins that are easy on your fingers.
A lovely loop of bead weaving, two flowers when seen this way, and two cherries if you turn the loop over. This is so neatly done, in hand, by my friend Pamela. Thank you!

Finally, I would like to mention that I want to give credit to the makers of the quilts above. However, Japanese names are difficult to read, and spell. I hope I have been able to give the right information. If not, I do apologise for any mistake.

9 comments:

Pamela said...

Good to see you again! Hopefully there will be more quilt shows in our futures.

Rachel said...

The shows I've have been to have been a bit less invigorating than pre-Covid. I think everyone is still a bit shaken - and it isn't over yet, either. In due course I am sure we'll have the excitement and encouragement we used to!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Oh, I'm glad there was a show to go see, and see with friends. Thank you for sharing your photos. I think it will take time for these other smaller shows to gain momentum. I'm glad Yokohama is happening again!

FlashinScissors said...

I enjoyed seeing Pamela’s photos and it was nice to see yours too. Thank you for sharing.
I would be a little disappointed too to see quilts I’d seen before but I guess Covid has caused a lot of difficulties for everyone.
Good to see there were trade stalls too, I miss that!
I liked the tree quilt!
Barbara xx

Toki said...

It seems that the Tokyo quilt show didn't meet your expectations. It's been a long time for you,so I think I wanted to see a lot of new works.
But you did some shopping and got a gift. And I'm glad you could resume with your friends.

I hope that the content of the show will be further enhanced in the future.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Some lovely quilts, I'm drawn to Happy Tree.

Angela said...

So great that there was some embroidery at a quilt show! Love that. Our local quilt festival also had its demised due to covid. I am happy to say that a new one is on the rise and I will be teaching a mandala workshop at it.

Julie Fukuda said...

It was a good chance to get together, even if the show itself was a bit disappointing. I hope Yokohama will be a bit better. Such a short time does not bring in overseas vendors, but there were some interesting shops for looking.

Jeanne said...

Lovely post with great photos and captions. I'm encouraged that the Japanese Quilters created their own show!