Sunday 27 March 2022

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 205: Glove Stitch

I should have added this stitch LONG ago, but either I forgot, or I thought it too similar to #38 Bosnian Stitch.

If you look at a pair of leather gloves you are likely to see how the Glove Stitch has been used to join two pieces of leather together, creating a rim.

However you can just as well use Glove Stitch for embroidery. It is easy. Here is how:



 






Isn't that neat? Instant impact with very little effort.

Now compare #205 Glove Stitch with #38 Bosnian Stitch, which from the front looks exactly the same, but is worked in a different way:

To start with you work in the opposite direction.

Then you make the Straight stitches, upright

and return by crossing over to the second Straight Stitch.



Here you can see that the two stitches look the same. Glove Stitch in blue, and Bosnian Stitch in red.

It's on the back of the embroidery that you see the difference.

Homework: 
Play around with these samplers.








 








5 comments:

Janie said...

Bosnian stitch, Glove stitch, I'm going to try them.
Thanks for sharing Queenie.

Rachel said...

It makes a strong edge without being too flamboyant, so it's a useful one, and I think having the two stitches creating the same appearance means that one can choose the method of working for the situation..

Angela said...

I definitely want to try these stitches. I love the way they look. You got me pondering starting a scribble cloth as I don't have any projects where these stitches might work.

Pamela said...

I like this stitch!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Good stitch. Do you prefer one way of doing the stitch to the other?