Monday 3 June 2019

Quilt Time Festival 2019 - Yokohama, Part 1

Once upon a time there was an annual quilt show in Yokohama, 'Yokohama Quilt Week', that I used to visit without fail.
In 2015 it had to close for financial reasons, but came to life again last year. You can read about it here.

Originally held in November, it is now a three-day event in May/June.
So off I went, and had a grand time, meeting up with friends and taking in the beautiful quilts.

There are too many things to show to fit into one blog post, here is the first instalment of what we saw:

The first exhibit we were greeted with on entering the venue, was a collection of stunning quilts from The National Quilt Museum in Paducah, Kentucky, USA. Photography was not allowed, but I can assure you that all the quilts were nothing but S T U N N I N G!

Next came,
Quilts made by Tula Pink
This talented American lady is not only a quilter, but also designs her own fabric, many with animal prints.
Here are two of her colourful quilts.


All Sorts Of Colours
50 famous Japanese quilters (quilt teachers) had been asked to display one piece each of their work.

Hiroko Nakayama (中山弘子) made this beautiful floral/Mariners' Compass quilt.



 Noriko Masui (升井紀子) is THE queen of fuzzy cut and medallion quilting in Japan. I fell in love with this quilt when I saw it for the first time, many years ago.


Yoshiko Kurihara (栗原淑子) is famous for her geometrical portraits. There is something of the Italian painter Amedeo Modigliani's work over the guests at this Parisian café.

Akiko Kawata (河田明子) 'painted' morning glories with kimono silk.

Yasuko Kuraishi (倉石泰子) is a famous teacher and a friend of my friend Julie. Through her we got good tickets. Thank you, Kuraishi-sensei!


Nobuko Miyake (三宅信子) displayed a set of tea cups used for the tea ceremony. Which one would you want to drink 'macha' green tea from?

This is my favourite.

Noriko Shimano (島野徳子) featured Japanese cut glass known as Edo Kiriko.
The larger quilt does not seem to have been completed yet, but the smaller, framed one, is outstanding in its beauty and craftsmanship.

I have seen this quilt before, here (where I misread her first name!).

Yoshiko Katagiri (片桐好子), played with kimono silk to make these gold fish.

 Note that even the tail is made up of small fish!

Misako Kamogawa (鴨川美佐子) has a lot of movement in her quilt, my thoughts instantly went to water and waves, and wind.


Noriko Nozawa (野沢典子) used blue too, as she salvaged denim jeans for this quilt.

 Machine embroidery on and in a real back pocket.

Are you ready for a break? I am, and will return with more quilts in my next blog post.


















10 comments:

jacaranda said...

The tea cups quilt is my favourite. Hope you enjoyed the show.

Pamela said...

It's hard to pick a favorite! There were so many great quilts.

Radka said...

Wow, all so beautiful! Thank you for taking the time to post all those pictures,xx

Janie said...

Thanks for sharing Queenie. Interesting story about how the quilt show stopped for a while and now it's back. I like the embroidery in the close ups and Tula Pink's colors are beautiful.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I love seeing these - it's like visiting the show a second time!

Rachel said...

What fabulous work!

Julie Fukuda said...

I haven't even had any time to look through my pictures. I love these that you posted. Among the teacher's quilts there were a number I have seen in the past at other shows but it was nice to see them in this setting (and with good friends).

carorose said...

I love all these quilts but the tea cup quilt would have to be my favourite.

crazyQstitcher said...

Fabulous quilts. I would not like to be a Judge of these. It has to be almost impossible to choose. So many facets involved. Colour, design, stitching, large/small areas. I like the French cafe with the clown portrait- that must be small pieced. Thanks for sharing.

FlashinScissors said...

Hi Queenie, just catching up on my blog reading. (I seem to have been gardening a lot, when it hasn’t been raining, and have missed a lot of blogs .... oops).
Lovely photos of amazing quilts, and thank you for the info too!
There is so much work on each, I can’t imagine making something so complicated!!
Hugs,
Barbara xx