Monday 3 June 2019

Quilt Time Festival 2019 - Yokohama, Part 2

OK, let's return to the Quilt Time Festival in Yokohama.
And let's go back to the Teachers' quilts. There were 50 in total, but I will show you just a few more.

Sachiko Gunji (郡司祥子) is famous for her Mandala quilts with Buddhist motifs. Many of them are made with elegant silk.
Her contribution to this quilt show was a boro quilt, where every scrap of fabric has a story to tell. I think this is a kind of 'mandala' quilt, too, although not circular, with Buddhist undertones - it reminds you to see beauty in everything.

Hiromi Yokota (横田弘美) has also taken scraps of fabric, but wool, and with them made a quilt of funny cats.
These kitties really charmed the crowd and many visitors stopped to find their favourite one.


What is a quilt show without Sunbonnet Sue? Well, regular readers to my blog know how much I like Sue, although I twist and tweak the traditional design till you can't recognise her.
Atsuko Matsuyama (松山敦子) on the other hand, has stayed true to tradition.



Junko Miyazaki (宮崎順子) and I share the love of buttons.



Hiroko Takayama (高山綋子) has made her own 'buttons'.


Akane Sakamoto (阪本あかね) quoted Leo Tolstoy.
The feeling this artist has experienced must be hunger -  ice cream, donuts, jelly, coffee and cupcakes ooze out of the quilt!

Last on stage for this blog post is 
Fumiko Nakayama (中山冨美子) and one of her wonderful Mola quilts.
It took me forever to make the Mola bag back in 2018. I wonder how much time Ms Nakayama needs to make a huge work of art like this.

8 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Queenie thank you so much for this - so much detail I didn't know - especially about Sachiko Gunji's quilt. And, I loved those funny wool cats, for sure, and that fabulous Mola quilt which I enjoyed seeing with you then and now here again.

Shami Immanuel said...

Beautiful paradade of quilts. So much of hardwork. Mola quilt is awesome.

Rachel said...

My goodness, still more to delight in! You must have come back dizzy with colour!

Julie Fukuda said...

Thanks for sharing these pictures and the wonderful details. I have been so busy I have not yet had a chance to even look at what pictures I got, let alone make a post.

Pamela said...

The boro and the cats were two of my favorites. I don't remember seeing Hiroko Takayama'a button squares. I thought we saw them all!

carorose said...

Again, I like all these quilts. The cat quilt reminds me of one I made for my daughter when she was little. (it has since gone to the quilt heaven.) Each cat got it's own story and personality. Looks like these cats have had a similar experience.

Janet said...

Wonderful - do you know if dates are set for this quilt show for 2020? Would love to plan a visit.

Janet said...

Quilts look amazing - do you know if dates have been set for this show for 2020?