Saturday 23 June 2012

TAST2012 Week 25

Cable Chain Stitch is the name for this week's TAST challenge.
Some participants seem to love it, others not. I belong to the former group and had great fun making this piece.

Two wonderful things happened while I made this:

1) I was slow at starting and the advantage was that I learnt something from another member who had already posted her contribution! From Carolyn Foley over at Caro-Rose-Creations I picked up the idea of making several wraps around the needle for the 'link' which creates a little bead-like knot (green short corner lines, see above). Thank you, Carolyn.

2)  I later experimented by wrapping the thread a couple of times the other way round the needle, which resulted in a very different looking chain, more of a cord (the yellow cross in the centre).
I was then so happy to see that Lakshmi of Hand Embroidery from Sadalas  had made something similar, a Cable Twisted Chain.
We have also both made a 'Magic Cable Chain' where the colour changes (the blue&red chain circle).
Here I am stitching along in Japan and Lakshmi, you are in India, doing almost the same variations of the stitches at the same time. Is it TAST telepathy? Whatever it is, it is great!
Lakshmi has posted a tutorial for two of her stitch variations. Go and check them out!

A big thank you to Sharon and to all who take part in TAST for sharing ideas, thoughts, tutorials and the love of embroidery!

12 comments:

margaret said...

A lovely piece Quennie and thanks for telling us how you went about it, and for the links you have given us

Lakshmi said...

Yes Queenie where ever we are from, Sharon brought all like-minded people under one roof..your sampler is simply beautiful..I like the way bead sit in the chains so perfectly, making it look beautiful..

City Krafters said...

Very neat as always.
Keep up the good work.

Pippas quilts said...

A lovely selection of different cable chain stitch the design shows these stitches off really well.

Queeniepatch said...

The secret to placing the bead in the centre is: ruler and pen! I am not good at eyeing it!

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I had fun making this piece, and that is the best fuel. Enjoy stabbing the fabric!

J Honda said...

oh yes Queenie! Though this was my first week, I have learned so much, and met wonderful friends! Fun is a great fuel, no? :D
beautiful and fun piece of work!

Debbie said...

WOW, beautiful, Queenie! I like what you did with the beads. Wish I could see a close-up!

Unknown said...

Sooo beautiful!
Hugs
x

crazyQstitcher said...

Awesome!

Marjolein said...

It is so interesting to see all the different effects with this stitch. I like this design, especially the rose cable with long pearl beads.

Queeniepatch said...

I agree, it has been very interesting to check out all the other participants' work and see how flexible this stitch is.
I wonder what stitch we'll be given tomorrow.