Sunday 12 September 2021

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 185: Otomi Stitch

Let's go to central Mexico and learn some Tenago embroidery. Otomi Stitch is in fact a very narrow Herringbone Stitch that is used to fill in blocks of colour, almost like using crayons in a children's colouring book.

The original Otomi embroidery is very colourful with motifs of flowers and animals, as well as folklore, but why not use this elegant filling stitch for other styles, too.

I found today's embroidery at etmdesigns.eu. For further reading check out this article.

They have a video here.

My photos are easy to follow, I hope.

First I tried with one strand of DCM embroidery floss.


I stitched a very narrow Herringbone Stitch.



You can see how economical this stitch it - almost nothing on the back.

Hm, with only one strand it seems difficult to cover all the background,

much better result with two strands!

Homework:
Fill something in on the samplers. I don't suppose the 
stitch will look good on the Aida sampler, but give it a try!








3 comments:

Pamela said...

Your stitching is very neat and I like that there is so little on the back.

Rachel said...

This absolutely plays in to my obsession with getting the balance between stitch and thread just right - always worth experimenting with!

Annet said...

such a nice filling stitch. I think it would look great in wool.