Tuesday 28 January 2020

Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival 2020 - Part 4 - Traditional Quilts

Going to a show on your own is OK, but together with friends, you see so much more. I am delighted to have had the company of Julie, Tanya, Cynthia and Pamela.


Let's begin todays report with the Traditional Quilt category.

I wonder how many reds
牧野さとみ*Satomi Makino
needed to collect for this quilt. It was difficult to find duplicate prints.


 杉松子*Matsuko Sugi made a very tidy crazy quilt.
The embroidery was mainly Sheaf Stitch and French Knots.

谷口由紀*Yuki Taniguchi's quilt is so light and crisp in blue and pastels.


Another light blue quilt with accents in beige and soft reds was made by
清田澄枝*Sumie Kiyoda (?)



日比野香代子*Kayoko Hibino (?) made this fantastic piece of black lace in reverse appliqué.


You need to do a lot of calculation on a graph paper to make this ocean, then add the detailed ships and the charming borders.
細見千恵子*Chieko Hosomi managed very well.

Traditional quilts are often floral medallions, in 'sweet' colours, and impeccable stitching/quilting.
笹野千恵子*Chieko Sasano gives us a good example.

Music is also very popular in Japan, and here it has been incorporated in the quilt by
金山真理*Mari Kaneyama


岩井さとみ*Satomi Iwai
used red, white and a little bit of pink.

Here is an alphabet and block pattern sampler by
和田さとみ*Satomi Wada
Have a look at the H-section. There is a (School) House block, a Heart, a Hen and Hourglasses. I don't know the name of the remaining block. Do you?
Updated: Sarah Aldridge told me the block is called Honey Bee.

In the UK they are called Suffolk Puffs, in the US you call them Yo-yos. I guess you really need to love them if you are going to make a quilt like this one.
It took 寺田矢枝子*Yaeko Terada 1 year and 7 months to make 17.566 yo-yos (15 mm) and turn them into a floral quilt.
It would have taken me longer! Or rather it would have become  a UFO!
A message to Julie, you did get a yo-yo maker, didn't you? Are you planning to make a copy of this quilt?


More flowers, by 藤原順子*Junko Fujiwara

 and an embroidered butterfly.


One more floral for good measure
扇畑洋子*Yoko Ogihata

or is it a star?


Well this is a star,
with extensive hand quilting.
久保真由美*Mayumi Kubo




Following are a few traditional quilts with a modern twist.
西岡洋子*Yoko Nishioka
played around with the Clam Shell pattern



while 山田町子*Machiko Yamada
added houses inside her enlarged Double Wedding Ring



The areas of pointed strips in the background is an illusion - it is a print.


本多佳江*Yoshie Honda made her quilt out of triangles and her grandchildren's drawings.




I was quite drawn to this quilt, both geometrical and floral at the same time.
明石瑛子*Eiko Akaishi made a very accurate quilt.


There were plenty more quilts, but I will end the report on Traditional Quilts with this one, that drew attention from all my friends, as well as me. Well, the details are interesting, Tanya and Julie are good at piecework and quilting, Pamela loves hexagons, Cynthia blue and I, well I love Colonial knots.
野呂清美*Kiyomi Noro made us a show stopper!


(Don't you just love Julie's quilted jacket - another REAL show stopper!!!!)














































































7 comments:

Isadarena said...

Thank you Carin for all these beautiful quilts photos : my favorties are, of course, the quilts with flowers. They look so peaceful !!
Wishing you a lovely evening,
Take care,
Isabelle

carorose said...

Great post. Just like I was there myself.

Julie Fukuda said...

I think that block is a version of "Hands all around". As to yoyos ... no way I make a quilt like that! I think the device I bought will make smaller ones. These was so much detail in many of those quilts that I don't know where those quilters find the time. They must have to sleep a few days out of the year.

Sarah Aldrich said...

That is the honeybee block.

Rachel said...

Oh my word, that ocean - how completely spectacular!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Lots of beautiful quilts!

Pamela said...

Traditional quilts are very appealing - home and cozy feeling.