Sunday 29 September 2019

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 109: Knotless Coral Stitch

I have nicknamed today's stitch 'Knotless Coral Stitch' as it is a Coral Stitch without the knot. In 'A-Z of Embroidery Stitches 2', it is called Coral Stitch Variation, but I wanted it to have a 'proper' name so I can easily identify it.

Updated:
This is what Mattia says in her French comment below:
I would say in French:
- point of coral without knot or variation of the point of coral.

This stitch is very similar to Single Feather Stitch, or Slanted Buttonhole Stitch, as it's set at an angle, don't you think?

Anyway, here are my photo instructions:
Let the needle take a bias bite of the fabric, and place the thread behind the upper part of the needle.

 Tighten the thread round the needle.

Pull through and repeat.

You will soon have a nice 'wavy' line, but beware that the waves will roll out of control, just like any white-capped waves of the Seven Seas, in rough weather. This is a true ornamental stitch.
If you want the stitches to lie flat and neat against the fabric, use the ordinary Coral Stitch.

Homework:
Aida Sampler
Sunday Stitch School Reference Chart
Teal Wool Tailoring Scribble Cloth.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

This does look like a nice wave.

Rachel said...

I think that may be what I know as Scroll Stitch. It does create a lovely line.

Anonymous said...

Je dirais en français :
- point de corail sans nœud ou variation du point de corail.

Pour les précédents points, je n'ai rien trouvé en français.
Voilà
Mattia

Julie Fukuda said...

That looks like a plan ahead stitch to me. You make it look so simple though.

carorose said...

I know this as Scroll Stitch. Gees, so many stitches have multiple names!