Sunday 22 September 2019

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 108: Crow's Foot

Today we are trying another tailoring stitch - Crow's Foot. It is similar to Sprat's Head (#98). Both stitches are traditionally used by tailors to reinforce the end of darts and pockets, but they make nice ornamental stitches for embroidery, too. You can find both of the stitches in Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches.

Work Crow's Foot like this:

Mark the fabric with a triangle of even sides (equilateral
and stretch it in a hoop.
 Start at the left bottom.

Go to the top

 Bottom right

And back at the beginning. Continue in the same way.
Work your way towards the centre.


 DO try to work it tighter and neater that this!

Homework:
Aida Sampler (use a sharp needle and eyeball the holes at the sides, as the grid will not make an equilateral shape)
Sunday Stitch School Reference Chart
Teal Wool Tailoring Scribble Cloth





3 comments:

Pamela said...

I like the stitch and the name of the stitch.

Rachel said...

They are harder stitches to execute than they look - I know!

Elizabeth's quarters said...

I always wondered what they were; now I know! I've seen them at the heads of darts on some of my better clothes, but not on the cheaper stuff. Just goes to show, it's those little details that make clothes last that you pay for.
Your crow's feet look pretty neat to me.