Wednesday 9 January 2019

WIPW - The Need to Cover Up

Work In Progress Wednesday.

Crazy for Crazy
I added two seams, one of them a beaded version.


Cathedral Windows
I am very pleased with the colourful look created by the background fabric.

On the other hand, I was not satisfied with the machine top-stitching for the turned over curves that I tried last week, so did them all by hand.
It took some time, but was not frustrating to stitch.


However, what WAS frustrating was to see that some of the inserted background pieces did not cover the joints properly.

Compare this reasonably good joint


with this horrible one!
The frayed parts must be covered up.
I will use either buttons or small plastic cups, covered with fabric to hide the flaws.

Here are the two parts of the bag, front + sides, and back.




9 comments:

Pamela said...

How colorful! The inserts on the back side really make a difference.

Rachel said...

It's always the tiny details that catch us out, isn't it. A button trim should camouflage it nicely, though, as you say.

jacaranda said...

Looks beautiful and I would not have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. I look forward to seeing all the bags finished.

crazyQstitcher said...

Love the Crazy for Crazy. It really sings.
The CW bag is going to be so beautiful when completed.
It is really difficult to turn under something tapered, without fraying when stitching. I don't envy you the task. Either choice of covering would be good.

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

Such beautiful work on the Crazy for Crazy piece. The Cathedral Window is absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see it all finished and put together.

chitra said...

The block is progressing beautifully. the fraying is not so noticeable. the quilt is quite lovely.

Julie Fukuda said...

That was my thought, and the buttons went on several months ago. I am still not all that happy but other stuff is taking over my world.

Julie Fukuda said...

The buttons were my solution, added several months ago. I am still not satisfied but other stuff is taking over my priorities.

carorose said...

The details may not suit you but the overall effect is stunning.