Monday 28 January 2019

18th Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival 2019 - 2 Winners and Special Exhibits

It is impossible to see all the quilt show has to offer in one day, so I went twice.
It will be impossible too, to report about what I saw in one blog post, so there will be several.

I went with friends on both days and this was a real treat. We are all engaged in textile art, but work with different styles and techniques. This means that I saw so much more because what I would have missed on my own, they noticed and pointed out.
Three cheers for friendship!

Now for the quilts.
Let's start with the winners of the contest.

First prize went to Hitomi Mishima (三島仁美)

Second prize Kyoko Takeda (武田京子)

Winner of the Handmade Category  Sachiko Takataki (高谷幸子)

These quilts are roped off and it is impossible to get a close up shot. From a distance it is hard to see the exquisite handwork, I am sure.

Before I show you some of the other entries in the contest, let's have a look at some special exhibitions.

Every year some famous quilters are invited to showcase their work. This time three very different quilters' works could be enjoyed.

Australian Di Ford makes replicas of antique quilts and 'look-alikes.' English and European style in muted colors.


Norwegian Tone Finnanger's quilts are all pastel, very fresh and cute. She designs the fabric, then sews and quilts. She also makes dolls.


Cecil Franconie from France makes heavily embroidered and embellished quilts and her quilting is done with thick thread and noticeable stitches. The quilts almost look like fluffy terry towels!



Another annual event is a teamwork of Japanese master quilters, who each together with their students, build up a world. Last year it was Wizard of Oz.

For the 2019 exhibition they honored four Impressionist painters.

Akane Sakamoto (阪本あかね) and her team made a terrific job of recreating Vincent van Gogh's sunflower, room and portraits.

 How would you like to have a fabric chair and bed?



Kathy Nakajima (中島キャシー) and her group took us to a sun drenched beach on Tahiti. Here is Paul Gauguin's chair and easel, a bottle of wine and a piece of bread...

Reiko Washizawa (鷲澤玲子) and her team's task was to recreate Claude Monet's famous garden.


Yoko Ueda (上田葉子) used her skills to make soft images of Auguste Renoir's style. Her students modeled and took photographs, then added lace and fluff.

I'll fade out here, and return with another blogpost later.

8 comments:

Annet said...

Thanks for taking the time to share these beauties. I'm looking forward to the other posts about this exhibition.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for sharing these beauties.

Janie said...

That quilt show is always amazing. The first and second place are stunning! I like seeing the different styles too.
The Van Gogh Sunflower quilt is a show stopper and the Renoir style romantic crazy quilts are gorgeous.
So fun, and yes, thank you for sharing, Queenie.

crazyQstitcher said...

I think the quilts can't get better than those in earlier exhibitions then find they certainly can.
They are amazing. Like Annet, I await more.

carorose said...

I do look forward to this report each year. The crowds would be too much for me but the work just takes my breath away.

Rachel said...

It is so wonderful to see the huge variety of techniques and styles, and inspirations on display - I'm not surprised it took you two days to get around!

Pamela said...

What fun we had on Sunday! I haven't even looked at my photos from the day yet, but hope to work on posting them by the weekend.

Sewfun said...

Wow, I also follow Julie's and Tanya's blogs so I jumped over to see the quilts you posted. All I can say is that I am always amazed by the Japanese quilts. The attention to detail is really amazing. Love all the different interpretations of the impressionists. Thanks for sharing all the pictures!