Tuesday 1 January 2019

WIPW - Adjustments

A Happy New Year 2019 with best wishes for a productive and creative year with needle and thread.

During the year end and the new year holiday I have been somewhat productive. I also found I had to make some adjustments to my principle and plan.

Here is the first Work In Progress Wednesday report of 2019.

Crazy for Crazy
I used Stem Stitch to make the base for a spray of flowers, which I will add later.
I stitched an undulating ribbon of Puncetto Valsesiano lace.
I made some Granitos flowers.



Cathedral Windows
I wanted to follow the machine method I found on the internet for these windows, but I sometimes found it trickier than I had expected to do the tips. 

Have a look:
Here the tips are thin (two layers of fabric)  and I managed to stitch neatly, but

when the tips have a seam and fold of four layers of fabric, the tips are difficult to stitch neatly. 
By hand you can wrestle and manipulate, but by machine you simply don't SEE under the presser foot. Also approaching the tip, the presser foot might slip and the needle jump a stitch. NOT a good result!

I will therefor make some adjustments and HAND STITCH the tips and do the rest of the seams by machine. I'll see it that works out well or not. If not, I will do all the turned-over seams by hand.


Do you remember that I added a piece of fabric inside the folded square?

These can now be seen as 'glass' behind the 'lead' that is turned over the inserted 'glass'.
 
This machine method will have more 'glass' and thinner lines of 'lead'. The back of this bag will be more colorful than the front.



7 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Happy new year! What pretty stitches. And looks like you are solving problems with your cathedral windows! The colors will be so pretty against the gray.

Pamela said...

Interesting to read about the machine stitching. The back will be very pretty!

Janie said...

Beautiful embellishing and stitches added to your CQ block.
Good progress with your CWs, I'm going to be working on mine today, remembering
what you've found.

Julie Fukuda said...

Even sewing everything by hand, those meeting points can be problematic.
I like the way those crazy blocks are looking. If you put them all together, there is going to be a lot of competition.

Rachel said...

That's a fascinating technique, full of colour!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

It was interesting to know how you got on with the machine stitched cathedral windows. I can imagine having problems with the tips and getting really frustrated, so it's probably not a technique for me.

jacaranda said...

Looks wonderful.