Wednesday 21 August 2024

WIPW - The Mandala's Centre

This week's Work In Progress Wednesday report contains work on three projects - the Mandala, the Sunday Stitch School Stitch Sampler and the Hexablooms. Let's look at them in that order:

Mandala

I cut out a circle of the sequin waste I showed you last week. The circle was then stitched down on top of the turquoise appliquéed circle.



Furthermore, I took out my box of small plastic cups covered with light blue fabric. These will be placed around the hub of the Mandala and fancy stitches will be added.



Sunday Stitch School Stitch Sampler

Two lines of #298 Hatamusubi were worked on a void spot of the sampler.

On the top seam, I joined the threads together on the front, just to show how the stitch looks. On the bottom seam, the joints are at the back to prove how 'invisible' the joints are.


Hexablooms

I was lucky and found time to make another 10 flowers. That means that I have 80 flowers in my box.

Talking of time. I wanted to know how long it takes me to make one flower and measured every moment from 1) marking the hexagon shape on seven pieces of cardboard,  2) cutting them out,  3) punching a hole in each one, 4) selecting a piece of metallic fabric for the centre, 5) selecting a piece of fabric for the petals, 6) ironing it flat, 6) measuring it, 7) cutting six squares for the petals with a rotary cutter, 8) covering the cardboard hexagons with said petal pieces, 9) keeping the pieces in place with small Clover pegs (instead of pinning the fabric in place), 10) basting the fabric over the card, 11) Whipstitching the six petals to the metallic centre piece, 12) removing the cardboard (under the metallic), 13) Whipstitching the petals together. 

All in all, it took 45 minutes. With 80 flowers, I have spent 60 hours making my pile of flowers.

Many more hours are needed to have enough flowers to fill the whole quilt.

 




6 comments:

Rachel said...

Sequin waste is something I keep thinking, ooh, lovely, what can I do with that - but then I never give myself an answer..!

Pamela said...

Wow! I had no idea it took so long to make each hexagon flower! A full quilt is a labor of love.

carorose said...

I have boxes of hexes put aside but not enough for another quilt.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Your hexablooms are certainly spreading. It is very time consuming making them. I'm working with hexies, but not often enough so very slow progress.

Janie said...

Your Mandala looks gorgeous with the fancy blue center and more fancy to come? fun!
The hexablooms are super amazing, thanks for the inspiration.

Angela said...

Oh! I love the circle of sequin waste. It looks amazing and I will have to steal that idea!