Sunday 25 August 2024

Sunday Stitch School: Lesson 300 - Ring Picot

In 2013, while I took part in TAST (Take A Stitch Tuesday), Sharon Boggon introduced us to two versions of the Buttonhole Picot. You can see her instructions here

This link will show you the blog post I wrote about it, TAST #88


For today I want to introduce you to the Ring (Buttonhole) Picot as found on Arts&Design.

It is also featured in Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches.

In the instructions mentioned above, the work is done right to left. I prefer to do my Buttonholes the other way around, so please note that in MY tutorial the stitch direction is left to right.

Here is my photo tutorial:

I made six Buttonhole Stitches,


I went back three stitches, slipped the needle

between stitches number three and four,

underneath the thread ONLY, from down to up.


I tightened this loose loop and underneath it, 

without biting any fabric, I made five detached 

Buttonhole Stitches from left to right.




From here I repeated the process.




Finally, I anchored the thread after three stitches

(to have even numbers of stitches at the beginning 

and end of the line).



This stitch is often used as an edging stitch.

Homework:

Add here.





4 comments:

Pamela said...

This would be a very pretty edging!

Rachel said...

It does make a lovely edging, doesn't it!

Angela said...

This looks great and I will have to try it! I have done similar stitches so it should be easy for me.

carorose said...

That makes a lovely edge.