Sunday 4 February 2024

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 278: Reversed Palestrina Stitch


Once on YouTube I saw a beautiful stitch, but the speed of the video was too fast for me to grasp the movements. 

There was no name but the stitch looked very familiar, both in the end result and in the way it was executed.  I checked my stitch collection and racked my brain, then forgot all about it.

It was not until recently that I found the stitch on Sarah's Hand Embroidery Tutorials. It was the classic Palestrina Stitch, worked in reverse. I checked in Sharon Boggon's 'Creative Stitches for Contemporary Embroidery' for the Palestrina Stitch, as she offers photo instructions for both right- and left-hand stitchers. Here was the Palestrina Stitch flipped over.

So you work today's version of Palestrina from right to left like this:














Homework: Add to these samplers.






5 comments:

Angela said...

Your instructions make it look easy.

Pamela said...

Nice looking line of stitches!

Rachel said...

It's a pretty stitch, isn't it!

carorose said...

I am going to have to try this one.

Toki said...

This is chain-:like stitch with a very cute design.