Monday 11 April 2022

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 206: Rapid Stitch

Let's learn a Canvas Stitch today. It is called Rapid Stitch,  appropriately named as it works up quickly.

You can find instructions here:

arts and design

badasscrossstitch

and in Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches, if you have her book, p 157.

There is a small difference in the instructions. Can you spot the difference between these two?


Of course you can! It is a question of which hole to use for the final part of the stitch. Well, let's look at the instructions first and discuss that later.

Start by making a Cross Stitch (use 5 x 5 holes).



Then make two diagonal stitches, starting from the middle hole at the bottom.


Then another set of two diagonal stitches, this time from 
either of these two holes, red or green.


I used the green hole.


So here is the Rapid Stitch, according to Mary Thomas's instructions.

If you prefer the 'red hole', you get Badass's style, which is on the left here.

The Rapid Stitch is a needlepoint stitch, so it is best done in wool. Then the fluffy fibres will cover much more of the fabric.


Homework:
Work rapidly on these samplers, as well as the Canvas Sampler.
































4 comments:

Pamela said...

I prefer Mary Thomas’ instructions, which cover more of the fabric.

FlashinScissors said...

I’m not sure which I like best. On paper I prefer Mary Thomas’ instructions but the Badass version stitches up well too. 🤷‍♀️
Barbara

Rachel said...

I think it would depend on what thread and fabric I was using. It's so helpful to have variations available..

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I think I prefer Mary Thomas's version but both could be used for a slightly different look.