Friday 8 October 2021

Friday Homework for Lesson 187: Catherine Wheel Stitch

Although this stitch has such a grim meaning, it IS a beautiful stitch, and it was very easy and quick to make.                                                                

Hopefully I will not be the only one to keep this stitch in my heart and let my thoughts reach out to those under torturous distress. I wonder if that might have been the purpose of creating and naming this stitch... God moves in mysterious ways.

Actually Catherine Wheel is also the name of a kind of fireworks, a spinning wheel. I hope those who use it and admire the flying sparks have a chance to reflect on what the wheel stands for.

Aida Sampler


Sunday Stitch School Reference Chart

Teal Wool Tailoring Scribble Cloth




7 comments:

Rachel said...

It was also the armorial device of Katherine Swynford, mother of the Beauforts and distant ancestress of King Henry VII of England (and it was just England, then). Her maiden name was "de Roet", which apparently means "wheel" in Old French!

Janie said...

That is a unique stitch, for some reason it reminds me of a Passion flower.
I've heard it said that what you look for is what you find.
Thanks for sharing.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I used to love doing these at one time.

crazyQstitcher said...

Three perfectly stitched wheels - the placement is spot on. The firey wheel really stands out. I love them all.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes Got make mysterious suggestion. I already knew from you,talked to my husband and wrote a letter to a friend. I don't want to impose my opinion. So the rest is up to the person who heard this story from me. But I think Got’s proposal is working. I hope it will transmitted from person to person .

Pamela said...

Very nice examples.

Tanya said...

That stitch really works well on all backgrounds.