Sunday 26 July 2020

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 141: Feathered Zig-zag Stitch

In my constant search for stitches to add to the Sunday Stitch School collection, I turn to many sources. I go over my books and stitch dictionaries, I check out Youtube videos, and of course I take a great interest in fellow bloggers' work.

Rachel of VirtouSewAdventures is a blogger whose work is always inspirational.
She is skilful at many different techniques and one of her trademarks is the great number of stitches she incorporates into a single freeform embroidery project.
For example, Rachel has  made shawls, coats and tablecloths where a wealth of stitches feature - a treasure trove for me!

Today we will look at a unique stitch found on Rachel's blog. It is surprisingly easy, but has that complex look that will enhance any  work. Rachel calls the stitch Feathered Zig-zag Stitch and you can read here how it was born.

Stitch it like this:

Make a single slanted Chain Stitch.
Then to the side of the Chain,
insert the needle to make
a Feather Stitch arm.
Make sure to come out outside the
loop of the Chain Stitch.

Insert the needle in the Chain Stitch
loop,

and make a new Chain Stitch,
slanting in the opposite direction,
to get the zig-zag look.

Make a single Feather Stitch
arm on the outer side.

Continue in the same way.
Chain, Feather, Chain, Feather...



This beautiful stitch makes me think of cereal - wheat, barley, rye... Anyone for breakfast?

Thank you Rachel, for letting me add your stitch to my collection of Sunday Stitch School stitches.

Homework:
Take a handful of seeds and sow some cereal on these samplers.

6 comments:

Pamela said...

I like this one! I think it will be perfect for a seam cover.

Angela said...

Great stitch and so well explained!

Rachel said...

Thank you for saying such lovely things! And a lovely demonstration of the stitch, too.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Yes it does look like cereal. Have you seen the little videos which 'that embroidery girl' does on instagram? [Georgina Bellamy] I find them quite fascinating.

carorose said...

Another great stitch. I have just the place to use this one.

Annet said...

Such a nice stitch, it looks like a combo of the feather and chain stitch and the wheatear stitch.