Saturday 18 July 2020

Partnership Quilt Project for Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival 2021

Well, I am sorry to say there will be no quilt show next year January in Tokyo Dome.
Tokyo International Great Quilts Festival 2021 has been cancelled.

However, the organisers, NHK, are still accepting charity blocks for the Partnership Quilts project.

I have just made mine. I found the theme, Love the Earth, a difficult one. Of course I love the Earth, but I am wondering if the Earth loves me, and the rest of mankind. We need to do more to save this beautiful planet, to cool it down, to keep it in good condition for the future.

My block is of a heated planet, made of orange/green marbled batik, appliquéd to a black background.

Embroidery is my 'thing', so I stitched people, holding hands in solidarity and unity, or are they being held up by a wrathful planet?
There are also some animals, a sailboat, Mt Fuji and another mountain, a house and some trees.
The Swedish flag is something I always add to my blocks. This time is it very small, but it is held by Greta Thunberg who calls on us all to
LOVE THE EARTH.


6 comments:

Rachel said...

A thoughtful block - well done!

Pamela said...

Wonderful block! Sad that the world is in such condition that the show is cancelled for next year.

carorose said...

You have put a lot of thought into this block, congratulations

Julie Fukuda said...

Wonderful block, Queenie. I knew you would come up with a super good idea. Hopefully at some point we will get to see all our blocks in quilts.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Well done Queenie

Tanya said...

It is beautiful! I love the people and the creatures and of course your tiny flag!