Sunday 24 May 2020

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 134: Slanting Blanket Stitch

Buttonhole Stitch, and Blanket Stitch, are two of the most basic embroidery stitches, and basically they are upright, like this:

Then there are plenty of variations.

Today I want to add to the Sunday Stitch School, the simplest of variations,  where the arms are slanting to the right - Slanting Blanket Stitch. It is officially mentioned in TRC's list (Textile Research Centre), but goes by the name Sloping Blanket Stitch in The Embroidery Stitch Bible.

Work it like this:



Now why would I want to add a stitch with such little difference from the basic stitch? It's because I often tend to slant the Buttonhole Stitch and it needed to be added to my personal Sunday Stitch School's collection of stitches. And yes, you have guessed it, there is another slanted stitch where the arms go from left to right, but it is worked in another way and has another name. More on that stitch in the future.

Homework:




4 comments:

Pamela said...

Sometimes my stitches slant when I’m not trying to slant them. I’m glad to find out that it’s a real stitch!

Rachel said...

Yes, good to know it can be the real thing, not just rather casual working!

Janie said...

Great tutorial and another useful stitch for your artistic adventures!

crazyQstitcher said...

Interesting to hear there are yet more ways of manipulating blanket stitches. I too often have slanting stitches instead of neatly upright.