Wednesday 10 October 2018

WIPW - Too Bland?

Work In Progress Wednesday

At last I have had a bit more time to devote to my favourite pastime - stitching.

Crazy for Crazy

I have pieced together the Sweet Potato and Roast Chestnut crazy quilt block and added a bit of embroidery.
There isn't a lot of contrast in the shades of the thread, is this block looking a bit too bland?
I think I will change some of the thread of the Slipped Detached Chain...



NEW! Cathedral Windows 

Every January, at the Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival, I meet up with my friends Julie (My Quilt Diary) and Tanya (By Taniwa).
Last year we challenged each other to make something with the Mola quilting style.
I made this bag:

This year's challenge is Cathedral Windows. Tanya, always being quick off the mark, has already made several beautiful things, among them a cover for a box of tissues.

I searched the web and found a number of ways to make a CW quilt. I will start with the traditional way, by hand, following Abby Holverson's excellent instructions. Check them out here.

 The first thing was to cut squares.
With a strip of cardboard I pressed down the seam allowances.


I folded the square in half, right sides together and whipped the edges together.

I keep my fingers crossed that I will have time to stitch a lot from now on.
How to keep fingers crossed and stitch at the same time is a hard nut to crack, though!

11 comments:

chitra said...

The block is looking wonderful! very neat stitching! inspiring details! Interesting quilt beginning. lots to learn here. Thanks for sharing

Rachel said...

Maybe something in a lighter cream thread for your block?

If you manage to work out how to cross your fingers and stitch at the same time, please let me know!

Pamela said...

This looks like a great start! I might have to try it.

Shirlee Fassell said...

Love your block. The Portuguese knot stitch is one of my favorites. Always loved stained glass quilts. I bought Allie Aller’s book Stained Glass Windows Reimagined but haven’t gotten around to trying it!

Janie said...

I remember your Mola bag, beautiful.
I'm sure you'll come up with a good solution for your crazy
block, that's the fun of it.
And cathedral window blocks are amazing.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Nice to see the mola bag again. looking forward to seeing your progress on the CW quilt.

jacaranda said...

I love the contrast between the bright blue and the brown. Cathedral Window, looking forward to seeing all 3 projects between the 3 of you.

Anonymous said...

The block is looking good, not bland at all, the richness of the fabrics gives interest as well as the stitches.

FlashinScissors said...

Interesting to read about CW.
Your hexagon is looking great!
Perhaps yellow and green, to go with your decorations?
Hugs,
Barbara xx

crazyQstitcher said...

I like the block and doubt you will think it bland by the time you've completed it. The motif is perfect on the gold velvet.
I remember and always liked your Mola bag.

Stitching Lady said...

Your bag is so lovely! And I found a most useful idea in your post: ironing with a strip of cardboard.. Great!