Saturday 20 October 2018

Generous Gifts

I am very fortunate to have been given two beautiful gifts. Both of them are bags.

The first is a small bag with hand embroidery. Isn't it charming?
 Front


 Back
(I am so glad the birds have escaped their tiny cage!)


 Detail of the fine embroidery


The other bag is a simple shopping tote.
White cotton fabric has been dyed with onion skins into a warm mustard colour.
The print is hand stamped - probably with a hand carved stamp of either rubber or potato.
Together with a diploma it was given to one of my family members as a reward from the Town Council. Why?
His dentist had reported to them that, at the age of 80, he still had 31 of his own teeth - no caps, bridges or implants.
The bag came with a list of other citizens over the age of 80 who had most of their teeth in tact. One of them was 95 and had all 32 teeth. I wonder what she was given as a reward?!

This list was surprisingly short, and to me this proves that the Japanese on average have bad teeth, or have let the dentist alter their teeth for various reasons.
I know one girl who was encouraged to remove two absolutely healthy, but slightly crooked, front teeth for porcelain implants, before her wedding. 'You want to have a beautiful smile on your wedding day, don't you? was the sales point.
Poor girl, she won't be given a nice onion-skinned dyed tote bag when she is 80!

Now I am left with a dilemma. If I carry this bag around in our neighborhood people will think I have good teeth, which is nice, and true!, but will they also think I am over 80?
I am 'young' enough to wear out this bag before I turn 80, so I hope I will be given one of my own when I reach the right age!

5 comments:

Pamela said...

Gorgeous bags- what wonderful gifts!

Rachel said...

They're charming. I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of them!

crazyQstitcher said...

Sweet gift bag and beautiful embroidery.
What a thoughtful idea to give a reward for good teeth...and how rewarding for those receiving them to own perfect teeth.
I'm quite sure anyone who saw you with such a bag would know your teeth were in fine condition. Keep smiling and show those ivories.

Julie Fukuda said...

These days bags come in handy, especially being charged for plastic. I think those are much more lovely. My mother, and her mother before her had perfect teeth and took them to the grave. Unfortunately I inherited my dad's chompers. Guess I will have to get busy making my own bag.

FlashinScissors said...

What an amazing idea!
Gorgeous bags! Hope you will use them. Will everyone really know what they are for?
Hugs,
Barbara xx