Wednesday 17 July 2024

WIPW - Transferring Gold

I was lucky to have some extra time this last week and consequently have made more progress on my Work In Progress Wednesday projects.


Sunday Stitch School Stitch Sampler

 I made two lines of #294 Indian Knotted Feather Stitch.


Hexablooms

I raided my stash and cut lots of small squares for new petals. I also put together five more flowers. The total number of flowers is now 30.


Mandala

My plan was to add ONE heart in each of the four oval voids of the Mandala. 



So pieces of Sunset batik were cut out for the appliqué. 

Then I had second thoughts and decided to add a heart inside the appliquéed heart, thereby placing TWO hearts inside the oval voids. 

How to add the second heart? It was time I tried my hand at transfer foil. This had been given to me some time ago by a dear friend in Canada. 

First I had to check the internet for how to use the foil. It seemed quite easy. Luckily I had a pack of fusible Steam-A-Seam. Onto it, I drew four small hearts and cut them out.


I removed the paper on the reverse side of the heart, placed it in the middle of the batik and pressed with a dry iron.


The top paper was removed. If you look really hard,  you can see the sticky glue of the heart inside the green line.


I then placed the gold foil on top of the sticky heart, topped it with a piece of parchment paper and set it with the dry iron.



It was fun to pull of the plastic cover of the foil and see the heart being stuck on top of the fabric.


I guess it is not the most perfect transfer - I need more training, but I saw some charm in the slightly jarred edge.

Finally, I marked, cut out and appliquéed the larger heart in place on the Mandala.

One void has been filled. Three more to come.




7 comments:

Pamela said...

How nice that you had extra stitching time this week! I love the hexagon flowers. What size are the squares you cut? I’ve never tried the gold transfer, but I like using Steam a Seam. I have a few sheets I brought from the US left that I use sparingly, in case I can’t find more. Very nice progress this week, and I hope you have another week with a lot of stitching time.

Lyn Warner said...

The gold transfer is interesting. First time I've seen it done.

Rachel said...

Gold transfer is quite an adventure! But looking good!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

You seem to have achieved a lot this week, well done.

Janie said...

Great progress! Your hexablooms are beautiful and your heart/foil applique and transfer tutorial is good. And the 'slightly jarred edge' is a superb effect! Lovely.

Angela said...

Oh! I love the gold heart so much! Rarely does the transfer foil work absolutely perfectly.

Toki said...

Looks like you've come up with a very good method.
Of course a perfect and beautiful heart is wonderful, but I like your heart to be the only one in the world. It is a heart that can only be created from that moment.