Friday 26 July 2024

Revision Homework for stitches 291 - 295

Since November 2016 I have introduced a hand embroidery stitch (almost) every Sunday here at Sunday Stitch School. Recently we reached stitch #295. For every fifth stitch, I have also made a Sunbonnet Sue Sampler.  295 stitches divided by 5 = 59 samplers. Yes, I have 59 Sunbonnet Sues now! 

My versions of Sunbonnet Sue have always been very free and personal. However, I need to be fair to whoever created the original Sunbonnet Sue,  the pattern of a little chubby girl with her face covered by her sunbonnet. What the history behind this redwork and applique pattern is I am not absolutely sure, I have read various stories. Maybe Scrapdash has the most reliable tale.

Among my 59 Sues, only some are of that traditional pattern. I felt it was time to make at least one more. 

So here is the sampler for stitches #291 - 295, in true traditional style:



Kamal Kadai is perfect for the pinwheel and Backstitched German Knot Square makes a decorative pocket for Sue's apron.



6 comments:

Pamela said...

Good use of these stitches!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

She's adorable. I didn't realise that you had made so many.

Rachel said...

Oh, she's very sweet - a lovely addition to the family!

Janie said...

Sue is having fun in the sun! I like all the border embellishments and it was interesting to read the histories of Sue, thanks for sharing.

Angela said...

I love how creative you are with the stitches. Love seeing a tradition Sue too!

carorose said...

I love her little pinwheel.