Sunday 3 December 2023

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 273: Chained Wheatear Stitch

We are back at the beginning! Before I started Sunday Stitch School, I had, for several years, taken part in the stitch challenge called TAST (Take A Stitch Tuesday) created and still run by Sharon Boggon of Pintangle. Over those years Sharon taught me a lot and continues to inspire me to this day. 

Today's stitch is one of her versions of the traditional Wheatear Stitch - Chained Wheatear Stitch. You can see Sharon's excellent photo instructions here.

These are the photos I have taken for my instructions:

First, there are the pictures for the standard Wheatear  Stitch.

Begin with two strands of beard - the ears.



Then add the kernel.



Here are the pictures for the Chained version.

Come out one hole below the last loop or chain.

Go under the beard.



Now you have an extra kernel (loop or chain).


Add two more strands of beard.


Then make the next kernel.


Continue in the same way.




Here you are!

In the lower version I used brown thread for the second chain.

Homework:
Grow a crop of wheat here.
















3 comments:

Rachel said...

It's a very pretty stitch, isn't it..

Pamela said...

I have always liked this stitch.

Janie said...

'Grow a crop of wheat here'! I like the partial view of your samplers and their stitches, beautiful. And Chained Wheat Ear Stitch will add interest and richness.