Thursday 31 August 2023

What's in a Quilt - The Green Man - Part 5: Hexagon

The fifth quilt style included in the Green Man Sampler quilt is the hexagon.

The beautiful hexagon shape has been used to make many traditional-style quilts like Grandmother's Garden, which you can read about at Textile Research Centre.

Over the years at Tokyo Great International Quilt Festival I have seen some good examples of hexagons in quilts:

This Grandmother's Garden quilt was made by Chieko Yamaguchi*山口智恵子




Partnership Quilt Project 'Tree of Life', by Pamela Allen


Actually, my friend Pamela has made great use of the hexagon shape: Why not have a look at her temperature quilts and other creations. Click here.

Although it is possible to make a hexagon quilt by machine, stitching it by hand is one of the most rewarding, relaxing and pleasant ways to make a quilt.  Working in this old-fashioned way with English Paper Piecing makes me feel that I am going back in time and being part of history.

Basically, you stretch a square of fabric over a hexagon-shaped cardboard template and baste it in place. After you have a number you can start joining the hexagons together.  There are many tutorials for English Paper Piecing, here is my favourite by Mary Corbet.

Recently I made a birthday card with a Grandmother's Flower Garden flower. These hexagons are very small so I used another technique.
I blogged about the process here.

....................

I made my Green Man quilt block with various green prints. The eyes and mouth were fuzzy cut from Japanese tenugi fabric. (tenugi is a Japanese rectangular kitchen towel that can also be used in many other ways).
The background is also made up of small hexagons, and I mean small, each of the six sides of the hexagon is 12mm. Making this block took a lot of time and patience, but gave me a lot of joy!


 

7 comments:

Pamela said...

Thank you for the link to my blog! Hexagons are perfect for your newest Green Man block. These hexagons are much smaller than the 26 mm ones I usually use!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I'm glad you mentioned the quilt by Junko was made up of small hexagons, I couldn't tell until I zoomed in.

Rachel said...

He's very clearly there, but very clearly using the hexagon technique - a good balance, I think!

Annet said...

Such an original Green Man!

Angela said...

That was such a clever way to make this green man!

Toki said...

I like green man. It seems that various impressions can be given depending on the pattern of the fabric.

Tanya said...

Oh my! So much work in this block! That would have taken me years!