Friday 25 August 2023

Friday Homework: Preparatory Lesson - Template Making

I didn't set a homework task for today. However, I needed to make a birthday card and decided to use the hexagon shape to make a Grandmother's Flower Garden design.


So a small hexagon template was drawn and cut out, and seven tiny hexagons were prepared like this:

Things needed: hexagon cards, scraps of fabric, the smallest size Clover clips, needle and thread, scissors.

I folded the fabric over a template and clipped it in place.

Then I basted the fabric over the card.


Next step: Joining the hexagons together. I whip stitched an orange hexagon to each side of the blue, centre piece.

To be able to join the orange pieces to each other, the card in the centre needed to be removed.

I turned the flower over.

The basting thread was snipped and the hexagon card was carefully removed.

With that card out of the way, it was easy to fold the whole flower in half and whip-stitch the sides of the orange hexagons.

I then carefully removed the cards from the orange hexagons and appliquéd the flower to the foundation fabric, I used felt.


Finally, I added a stem and leaf made of felt and stitched them down with Cretan Stitch. The very last thing to do was to place the flower inside a window card, and the birthday greeting card was done!








6 comments:

Rachel said...

There's something very satisfying about basting the fabrics to the card, as I recall.. And the whole card has turned out beautifully!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

The recipient will be delighted with the card.

Pamela said...

Those fabrics are very pretty! Nice card!

carorose said...

I have to admit I have given up making the templates I just buy a packet of the premade ones but there was a time when I cut 100's.











Love the card.

Toki said...

Nice card.😆
Thank you for sharing your working process. I will refer to.

Tanya said...

What a nice gift for your aunt!