Sunday 16 April 2023

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 247: Scallop Blanket Stitch

This beautiful line of scallops was found on YouTube, posted by Maariyah Creative Arts and can be seen here:


Unlike the Blanket and Buttonhole stitches I usually do, this is worked 'upside down' and stitched away from the stitcher as you will see in the video.

There is, however, a tutorial in A-Z of Embroidery Stitches 2, called 'Blanket Stitch - Scallop Edging' where the stitches are worked in the traditional way, but along an edge.

Following, is my photo tutorial for Scallop Blanket Stitch.



Make one detached Buttonhole Stitch.


Make two more.


Then make another Buttonhole Stitch, biting the fabric.


Continue with another set of three detached stitches.

Anchor at the end of the line.


 I made a line of blue stitches which are spaced further apart than the red ones.


In the picture below, you can compare these with two other versions. 

The green stitches are #27 Buttonholed Buttonhole Stitch. The yellow stitches have not been introduced in  Sunday Stitch School yet, nor have I been able to find this variation of Buttonhole Stitch in ANY of my stitch dictionaries! Whipped Buttonhole is quite commonly listed, and there are plenty of Buttonholed bars, wheels and chain stitches, but not a single Buttonholed Stitch where the bottom line has been decorated with (detached) Buttonhole Stitch. I will have to include this in Sunday Stitch School's collection of stitches. Furthermore, I will have to think up a name as I have already used 'Buttonholed Buttonhole' for the green one where each other LEG is buttonholed. Should the yellow version be called Buttonhole FOOT Stitch, ha, ha? What do you think?



Homework: Add to these samplers




4 comments:

Angela said...

This looks great. Definitely have to try it!

Annet said...

Such s pretty variation! I think it will make beautifull flowers when stitched in a circle.

Rachel said...

That's a charming variation. I wonder how well it would on an edge?

Pamela said...

I haven’t seen this stitch before. I need to try it.