Friday 28 April 2023

Friday Homework for Lesson 248: Surrey Stitch

A heartfelt THANK YOU to all who have given advice on how to make the loops of Surrey Stitch even and neat.

A ruler or a pencil are good aids, and I remember from my childhood when my mother and grandmother made rya rugs that they used a special ruler. 

The memory of Rya rugs brought back a more recent memory, which should have come back to me earlier - that of making #93 Rya Stitch four years ago!

At that time I used a pin, and that is what helped me with this week's Surry Stitch, too.











Working in the hand instead of in a hoop gave me more flexibility to get the needle underneath the pin.



Here are the samplers:

Aida Sampler


Sunday Stitch School Reference Chart


Mottled Wool Scribble Cloth


I enjoyed making these samples and can now say that I like Surrey Stitch!  

So here is a note to self: Never give up! Never think that things remain permanent - even your dislike of a stitch! Viva Stitching!

6 comments:

Toki said...

I find the pin useful.
I will try to imitate.
Thank you Queenie.🙌

Pamela said...

What a great idea!

Annet said...

The pin is a great idea too!

Rachel said...

Those long pins turn out to be useful in so many contexts, don't they!

Angela said...

Great ideas!

Tanya said...

Ooh! Doesn't that stitch come out nicely with the addition of a pin!