Friday 14 April 2023

Friday Homework for Lesson 246: Merrow Stitch

The Merrow Stitch is unusual in that it is done with the thread in a loop. That means it is a bit tricky to control the thread, it likes to get twisted and tangled. Apart from that it is a nice stitch. 

Somewhere in the back of my head I had a vague memory of the name Merrow. Didn't it come from an American serger or overlock machine manufacturer? 

Through comments, I was reminded of a childhood blanket where the edge was 'overlocked' with a large V-shaped stitch. That blanket is still in my possession and look, here is the Merrow Stitched edge! 

I have been spreading out and folding up that blanket daily during winter without realising that I would one day include its hand-stitched version in Sunday Stitch School! Well, you learn something every day!


Here are my hand-stitched examples:

Aida Sampler


Sunday Stitch School Reference Chart

Mottled Wool Scribble Cloth




5 comments:

Toki said...

Can the mellow stitch the edges of the fabric?

Annet said...

It's a nice stitch, never seen it this way. But I recognize it from our old blankets too.

Anonymous said...

Nice samples.
Pamela

Angela said...

I love that you still have a childhood blanket!

Anonymous said...

It was fun to be reminded of those old blankets!