Wednesday 9 February 2022

WIPW - Hina

This Work In Progress Wednesday report includes the annual Hina project.


HINA 

The Hina Matsuri, or Dolls' Festival, is held every year on March 3rd to celebrate girls in the household. There are different types of dolls, the most elaborate of them are the Japanese Emperor and Empress in Heian Era costumes.

I found a very long article, but with plenty of good photographs to look at here.

For about 20 years I have been making soft dolls and ornaments annually for a mobile display called Hina no Tsurushikazari or Hanging Hina Dolls.

I made these three for 2022:


There is an incense bag, a peace dove and a baby's bib.

There are now 87 ornaments on my mobile.


You can see pictures of the other ornaments here at HINA.

Sunday Stitch School Stitch Sampler
I only had time to make one stitch, #183 Walnut Stitch. I had to use waste canvas (which is still not removed) to make even stitches. There is preparation for three other stitches where waste canvas is needed. More on them next week.




Teal Wool Tailoring Scribble Cloth
I finally hemmed down the binding and put up the sampler for display in a corridor.
Many people who pass by stop to look and ask questions. There are quite a lot of dimensional stitches and this sampler is really being 'fingered'. This is absolutely OK with me.

Velveteen Cushion
More embroidery was added.

Glove Stitch, Stem Stitch, Whipped Running Stitch and Feather Stitch.





7 comments:

Rachel said...

I do like the look of Walnut Stitch!

Pamela said...

You have really accomplished a lot this week. I always think your hina ornaments are beautiful, interesting, and so Japanese. I’m sure the people fingering the sampler are in awe of your gorgeous stitching.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Pamela.
it's nice more Hina friends every year.😆

Janie said...

Your three Hina projects are wonderful, the peace dove, baby's bib and incense bag, good choices I think.
And the 'walnut' is well done.
Part of the fun of creating is sharing isn't it and people touching your Teal Cloth is a compliment.
Lovely fun!

Julie Fukuda said...

You get so much done in just one week! It seems like forever since my last post, and still working on the same border...

Tanya said...

That scribble cloth is amazing. I can imagine that people would want to run their fingers over it. Such a wonderful tactile wonderland!

Ah Hina Matsuri days are almost upon as so soon?! Good for you for getting THREE more ornaments made! Love the flower added to the peace dove.

carorose said...

Yoiu have been busy and I love your Hina projects.