Sunday 13 February 2022

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 200: Chained Pekinese Stitch

Today we have reached stitch #200! 

In honour of this, I want to use a stitch created by Sharon Boggon of Pintangle. I am forever grateful for all the information, inspiration and motivation she has given me on my journey into the world of hand embroidery stitches. Without her online TAST (Take A Stitch Tuesday) stitch challenge I would not have come as far as I have. 

Today's stitch is taken from Sharon's excellent book Creative Stitches for Contemporary Embroidery. It's an excellent collection of stitches, with great tutorials and plenty of inspirational samples.


The stitch is called Chained Pekinese Stitch.

As for the standard Pekinese Stitch, here you will need a line of even Back Stitch. You also need, a little below that line, a small vertical Straight Stitch placed at the joint of each Back Stitch.

It's easy to do, and the result will look a million dollars.

Work it like this:



For the lacing part, be sure to use a blunt tipped 
needle, and for nice contrast, a different thread.


Without biting any of the fabric,
lace the thread this way:
 






When you come to the end of the line,
lace the last Back Stitch,

and then anchor at its base.



Homework:
Add to these samplers.



.


 

11 comments:

Pamela said...

I like the look of this stitch, especially in the two colors.

Angela said...

Yes, I too have much to thank Sharon for!

Rachel said...

I can see a series of variations being possible, as well, which could change it from a braid to something that looks like lace, for example..

Janie said...

Good tutorial for Chained Pekinese Stitch. And Sharon's book, Creative
Stitches, is excellent!

sharonb said...

Thank you Queenie I am so pleased you have enjoyed what I prattle on about - you have often inspired me too! Congrats on your 200th stitch

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on stitch #200.
A wonderful world of sticking.
🙌

Annet said...

Another pretty tutorial, congrats on your 200 Sunday stitches!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Lovely stitch.

crazyQstitcher said...

Congratulations on reaching 200 stitches, all of which have been so useful in my embroidery. Sharon's lessons have also been a boon for me. Your stitch looks so good. I like the vertical addition to the Pekinese. I now look forward to the next 200 lessons.

Tanya said...

Very pretty stitches!

Shami Immanuel said...

Congrats on reaching a milestone of 200 stitches. Surely I will add this chained pekinese to my video dictionary. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.