Thursday 6 January 2022

WIPW - A Finish and Some Knitting

 Happy New Year and welcome to the first Work In Progress Wednesday report for 2022.


As I mentioned last Friday I have completed the

Log Cabin Challenge

quilt. The last stitches of attaching the hanging sleeve were taken late on December 31st, and the quilt is now hanging on the glass wall behind the day bed. It has taken 21 months to make, and there is not one single machine stitch, everything was done by hand. Almost all of the fabric used comes from my stash and many pieces hold good memories.

The quilt is large enough to cover the bed with a nice overhang. However, I don't want the cat to spoil the quilt so it will not be on the bed, but behind it, for the time being any way. 
I think the quilt goes well with the collection of cushions I have. It's a nice place to cuddle up and read a book, or take a nap.

Even the back is quite attractive - especially the gold quilting thread gives off a nice sparkle.


Unfortunately no photograph can give justice to the right colours. This quilt really should be seen 'in the flesh'.

Leg Warmers
During the New Year holiday I started knitting a pair of leg warmers to beat the cold winter of Tokyo.

Sunday Stitch School Stitch Sampler
Around the oval I stitched last week, I have added four smaller ovals. They are made with #2 Back Stitch, #19 Satin Stitch Outline Stitch, #30 Holbein Stitch and #35 Outline Stitch.
I have also started adding appliquéd ovals, which I will decorate later.







11 comments:

Susie said...

Wow - looks magnificent

Lyn Warner said...

What a huge undertaking. I'm glad you included the reminder that every stitch was done by hand. Wow! That underlines what an impressive quilt it is. Congratulations!

Rachel said...

Well, even if the photos don't do it justice, my goodness that quilt looks magnificent!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year.🎍
And congratulations on completing the Log Cabin Challenge. it's amazing that everything is done by hand.
Already look good with the cushions.
I am looking forward to your word and Sue’s actirities year as well.😊

carorose said...

You have got to be proud of that quilt, it looks wonderful. And I understand you not wanting the cat to sit on it. I have a number of quilts Bear is allowed nowhere near.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Your log cabin quilt looks fabulous, well done. Happy New Year.

Janie said...

Wonderful progress! Your oval is going to be lovely, and knitting leg warmers is a good idea.
Your Log Cabin quilt is superb in everyway Carin, awe inspiring and I feel privileged that you shared its progress with us, thank you.

Julie Fukuda said...

Wonderful finish, Oueenie! My blocks are still sitting in their tin, waiting for other projects to get out of the way. Sitting and quilting all day in front of my zooming computer has only gotten me sore fingers and progress seems ever so slow.

Angela said...

Your log cabin quilt is stunning! What a treasure!

Renee said...

Your quilt is fabulous! Completely hand-stitched and you do such lovely work. I can only begin to imagine how much prettier it is in person. Congratulations on a stunning finish!

Pamela said...

Wow! What a gorgeous finish! You must love seeing it hanging. It does go well with the pillows.