Wednesday 19 January 2022

WIPW - Insect Repellant Bags

I didn't think I would have the energy to make a Work In Progress Wednesday report for this week. I met with an accident late last week, and so was unable to prepare a new stitch for Sunday Stitch School. Luckily I am now well on the mend and can function as usual.

Fortunate was also that I had already made some progress on my other projects, and furthermore had just completed a set of 

Insect Repellant Bags

that I made for a friend out of scraps of kimono silk.

In Western countries we often fill small pouches with lavender or other fragrant herbs or flowers to place in the linen cabinet. To keep clothes safe from insects we may use smelly moth balls.

These pouches contain powdered incense which has a very distinct scent. To me it is a very pleasant Japanese smell, but I must admit the perfume goes well with kimonos, but not with bed linen. It certainly is nicer than the naphthalene of traditional moth balls!



Velveteen Cushion
Here I had added four smaller stars in the lower border.




Sunday Stitch School Stitch Sampler
These stitches had also been added inside the ovals.
#20 Tete-de-boeuf 
#57 Figure-Eight Knot
#117 French Knotted Lazy Daisy
#118 Lazy Daisy Picot
#125 Carina's Knot

So all in all,  a good show, I think.

12 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and hope you are soon well again.
I can't imagine what powered incense smells like but I do like your little bags.

Rachel said...

Good to know you are on the mend, and yes, good show indeed, especially for the circumstances!

Janie said...

Beautiful stitching on your projects!
Glad you're feeling better.
And I detest the smell of moth balls, I know they serve a purpose, but I believe they're poison.
So I'm very happy you're using something else in your little bags to deter insects.

carorose said...

You can't keep a good embroiderer down! I have some inscense sticks somewhere but I haven't seen powdered insense.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I also like the scent.
I like Japanese incense and sometimes enjoy it.

crazyQstitcher said...

I'm pleased you are feeling somewhat better again and hope that improves. I like the Fly stitched stars on the cushion and the Sampler too. I have a lot of lavender,just waiting for me to make bags. A good reminder seeing yours. I love to brush our bushes when passing.

Claudette497 said...

I'm glad you're on the mend! Those pouches seem like a great idea, mothballs smell so awwful!

Julie Fukuda said...

Does lavender deter moths? I do like that smell. I like to make carvings from hinoki wood, and those scraps go into a mesh bag that works and smells like a cedar chest, but not so pretty as the bags you have made. Hope you are recovering well.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Good to see you are making progress again.

Pamela said...

I really like the cushion! The sampler progress reminds me of spring - Easter eggs. The little bags are a wonderful idea. I like the Japanese incense smell.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I think your bags are so pretty. I also like Julie's hinoki idea.

Tanya said...

Hope you are better... I had a fall last week that laid me up for two days too... Got to keep watching my feet these days! Stay safe!