Wednesday 28 October 2020

WIPW - STRETCHED, PIECED & WOUND

STRETCHED, PIECED, & WOUND - it sounds like torture, but it has been a painless week. Now time to hand in my Work In Progress Wednesday report.


Freeform Embroidery

All the embroidery is done, void areas have been filled with small stitches.


The finished piece has been STRETCHED.


The work that remains: backing and a border. That is planned to be finished by next week. Keep your fingers crossed!


Tvistsöm Cushion

Trudging along, four more rows were added.


Crazy for Crazy

The new teal and gold block was PIECED, (well basted together rather!), a bit of gold lace added and eight pieces of fabric stitched around the block to support it in the embroidery hoop.


 There will be several kinds of beads/pearls and ornaments. One of them will be a shirtwaist button.

 In the past I made Dorset Buttons, 


many for several of the other octagon blocks. 
Now it was time to try another type of WOUND and threaded button - shirtwaist button. I learned how from my recently acquired book by Elizabeth Healey:


When you make a Dorset button, you first stitch Buttonhole Stitch around the ring, then wind the spokes around the ring, which is fairly easy as the Buttonhole Stitch foundation gives the spokes a firm grip. After that it is easy to thread or weave the pattern. 

 The Shirtwaist button, however, is a challenge, it is far trickier. You start by winding a star pattern (teal in the picture below) around the slippery ring, then tie the pattern (gold). Boy did it take time to make the thread 'sit', but once I had figured out how tight a grip I needed,  it was great fun. I have only made this one Shirtwaist button so far, this is a trial one, and I will make a, hopefully, neater one to be used for the crazy quilt octagon block.


Log Cabin Challenge
Believe it or not, I have not made even a single block this week, so the count still stands at 280 blocks.

I have spent a lot of time on darning and mending summer clothes, before packing them away for the winter. Next week I am sure I will have a little pile of blocks for my collection.


7 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Your freeform embroidery is so pretty! It will be fun to see it bordered and backed. And... what can I say about your log cabin blocks - simply gorgeous! I keep thinking I need to start something new, for the log cabin challenge... but in reality the quilt I made my granddaughter may have to "count" !

Tanya said...

Your freeform embroidery is fascinating. Like doodling in color thread!

I'm looking forward to seeing the next octagon mature!

Rachel said...

Well, I'm intrigued by the button. It does look a rather exciting process!

Janie said...

Great progress! More rows on your TC cushion and getting your CC block set up for embellishing, steady does it.
Your freeform project is getting so close to finished, wow, it's an impressive piece.

Julie Fukuda said...

It does feel good to get something closer to finishing. Those buttons remind me of miniature dreamcatchers. (though that small might be a bit harder to do.

Elizabeth's quarters said...

The button looks great, but you're right, establishing that outer wrapping can be a fiddle. It sometimes helps to sand the ring a little to get more grip.

carorose said...

I love your buttons. I appreciate just how difficult it can be to get the wrapping to sit straight. Great job.