Tuesday 31 March 2020

WIPW - A Pile of Logs

It is time for this week's Work In Progress Wednesday report.

Freeform Embroidery
Indian Edging, Needle Weaving Bar and Triple Palestrina are crowding the Freeform Embroidery.

Crazy for Crazy
The paisley got a grid and some sprigs.

After I showed the two buttonholed rings last Wednesday, I got a lot of questions about how I managed to interlock them. That was an easy trick! I simply joined two of these spring key rings, and stitched the Buttonhole Stitch around each of them.
As you can see I couched them down with the same Perle thread, but will redo that with something wider - maybe ribbon embroidery ribbon - to cover the joints.

Log Cabin Challenge
I have cut the fabric into strips and now have a pile of logs.
There are also a few sheets of gold fabric, fused to interfacing. That gold will be used only for the centre piece,  golden fire in the hearth!

The job of hand piecing will start later today.
Do you think I will ever be able to stitch as fast as Yoko Saito?

8 comments:

carorose said...

Isn"t she fantastic? So fast and neat. No wonder she is a master.

Julie Fukuda said...

That log cabin sure seems to go a lot faster when the pieces are not measured and marked and cut first. I am not sure I would get blocks to go together without more planning.

Rachel said...

That's an ingenious solution for the rings - well done!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Interesting video, thanks for sharing.

Janie said...

Your additions are beautiful.
And you're starting on cutting 'logs', exciting!
Yoko does amazing work doesn't she? She's not in a hurry, maybe confidence is a good word for her work.
Thanks for sharing the video.

jacaranda said...

If I randomly cut the fabric, my log cabin block would look lopsided and wonky. She is truly amazing. My first Tokyo Quilt festival, I saw Yoko Saito using her little blue roller, the best tool I have ever bought.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

That is an amazing video - thanks for sharing. The cutter ring is genius. It was so nice to see such a video with really good clear English translation! So much about what I see and experience here, in terms of quilting, is lacking because I don't understand the language!

Tanya said...

I loved the video! I've never been able to use that leather thimble... I should try it again. I also was very impressed with that thread cutter that I've seen but don't have myself. If I did more hand piecing I'd really like to use that!