Friday 13 March 2020

Friday Homework for Lesson 125: Carina's Knot Stitch

At first sight this knot stitch is not so different in looks from French Knot and Colonial Knot, but as I mentioned in last Sunday's lesson, Carina's Knot leaves a beautiful dimple in the middle.

Actually this will be very useful for making eyes on stumpwork portraits.
Make the coloured iris with a Carina's Knot,

and in the dimple place a French Knot with black thread.

Then add a tiny Straight Stitch for that glint in the eye.


But I am digressing, here is my homework:
Aida Sampler

Sunday Stitch School Reference Chart

Teal Wool Tailoring Scribble Cloth

9 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Now, there is one that comes with a use. Great!

Pamela said...

How perfect for an eye!

Daisy Debs said...

Lovely knots ! I have fallen in love with the Colonial knot ! Love your homework pieces :) x

Rachel said...

That eye is really effective!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I've not stitched those kinds of knots. Lovely eye.

Janie said...

Beautiful work, Queenie, that knot is perfect for making an iris look realistic.
Your stitches look fabulous.

jacaranda said...

I tried your knot, your instructions were easy to follow,a nice change to the colonial knot I use.

carorose said...

Thanks for the eye tip.

FlashinScissors said...

Hi Queenie,
Playing catch-up!
I must try that knot, I do love embroidering eyes and this looks a bit easier than the eye I did for my Polka Dot Lady! 😁
Hugs,
Barbara xx