Wednesday 13 November 2019

WIPW - Rip and R.I.P.

The report on progress this Wednesday is one of backward rather than forward.

Rip, rip, rip.... I have been ripping up the woollen yarn of my Tvistsöm embroidery cushion and the
Glowing Stars
project can now R.I.P. (Rest In Peace)


I could for my life not make the pattern fit, the triangles and the stars did not meet where they were supposed to.
Furthermore I noticed some flaws;  I had worked some of the crosses with the long arm from left to right and the others from right to left.

When I first learned the Tvistsöm stitches, it was such a delight to work the Sunday Stitch lessons and the samplers and I got inspired to start on the cushion.

Work on the cushion was OK until I started to add a few stitches here and there in different colours. It slowed down the process and I just got lost in the pattern.

Tvistsöm is SO different from ordinary Cross Stitch. There one stitch is a square, in Tvistsöm one stitch is a parallelogram (like an italic rectangle). Keeping track of the stitches on the graph pattern was difficult.

So I ripped up every stitch and fumed at the waste of yarn and time as I laid the Glowing Stars to R.I.P.

I will start all over again but with a pattern of blocks of colour. Hopefully I will enjoy it better and the result will be acceptable.


Circles Challenge
I have finished the three last blocks.
The next step will be to assemble the blocks before I can add the embroidery.


Freeform Embroidery
Because I spent so much time on ripping up the cushion embroidery, I have not had time to add more than two stitches on the Freeform Embroidery: Woven Cross and Chinese Cross.




7 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Coming to the decision it is better to undo and start over is rather painful. I hope the next effort will go better. I am planning to add some embroidery to my feedsack border and am wondering if I need to do it first or whether i can do it along with the quilting.

FlashinScissors said...

Sorry to hear you had to rip your stitches, but I’m sure it was for the best!
I think this is the first time I’ve heard you say you’ve ripped stitches,
and I’m sure you will be glad you did when you finish the cushion.
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Pamela said...

Sometimes there is a project that just can't be saved. The other two looke good. I can't wait to see what comes next with the circles!

Rachel said...

How frustrating! But now you understand the stitch better..

crazyQstitcher said...

It is better to unpick and re-do than be dissatisfied forever.
You will feel happier when it's re-done. I like the Circles, Freeform work and new cross stitches.

chitra said...

Ripping the stitches is quite irritating. Instead of trying to make it work and getting sick of it, this is better.love your circles and free form embroidery.

carorose said...

Oh dear! That cushion was looking so good. Better luck next time.