Sunday 17 November 2019

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 114: Ship's Ladder Stitch

Welcome. Let's go on a Stitch Cruise with today's Ship's Ladder Stitch.

I came across this stitch at Kimberley Quimet, where Kim says it comes from Mary Webb's book 'Embroidery Stitches'.

It's a simple combination of a line of vertical straight stitches, crossed by diagonal ones at each gap.

I began by marking the plain weave fabric with some lines.

Start stitching by making a line of Straight Stitch.
Take as small a bite of the fabric as possible at each intersection.


Place a diagonal Straight Stitch across the line
so you cover the little bit of fabric at each intersection.

Worked on counted fabric, the spacing would be easier.

Homework:
Add Ship's Ladder on each of these samplers.




4 comments:

Pamela said...

This is a new stitch for me.

Rachel said...

There's always a new stitch (and a new stitch book!) to discover, isn't there!

crazyQstitcher said...

A new stitch for me also. It reminds me more of a mast/sail than steps but simple to do.

crazyQstitcher said...

Queenie, I forgot to ask if the slanted lines are the same length or tapering at to the top?