Sunday 25 September 2022

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 226: Badass Star Stitch

 First of all, I would like to express my gratitude for the kind responses to my latest Sunbonnet Sue post. Although grief is obviously very hard to handle, we have to accept that death is a natural part of life.

............................

Now let's move on.

I know it is not Christmas yet, but if you want to stitch something starry here is Badass Star Stitch. This is another stitch I picked up from BadassCrossStitch. You can see Shannon's neat stitch sample and diagram if you click on the link.

In the name of fairness, I also want to tell you about the instructions for this stitch at Pumora, where Anne calls it The Star Shaped Rhodes Stitch. 

Here is my hand-drawn diagram based on Shannon's graph:


(However, I must admit that I am questioning if numbers 51 and 52 are needed - in Shannon's photo it looks like she has not stitched those last two numbers that are in her diagram...)

If you are familiar with the Rhodes Stitch or Walneto Stitch you know how to work your way around the shape - just follow the diagram.

Isn't it beautiful?


After having tried it out, I found that this stitch is a real 'thread eater'. You have as much thread on the back as on the front, which I think is a bit wasteful. 
There is a way to solve this - change the stitch order to this: 


and see how little thread is needed on the back:


The front, though, is just as beautiful.

Please don't be intimidated by this stitch, it really isn't difficult at all. Just make sure you stitch on something with a clear grid, like Aida (or use waste canvas) and have 18 holes between #1 and #2. The rest will work out by itself if you follow the numbers on the graph.


Homework:

Let the stars shine on these three samplers.






8 comments:

Angela said...

I like the star and think I have some waste canvas so I can give it a try.

Lyn Warner said...

I love Rhodes stitch and this is a very pretty variation. The alternative stitch sequence is a very good idea to save thread and also to prevent the bump of stitches that from on the back.

Pamela said...

I like the rhodes stitch, so I think I would like this on an even count fabric.

carorose said...

I agree with your changes in version 2. That much tread tends to make your canvas, or cloth too heavy and can stretch it. I think I will try it with a thinner thread and see what happens.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

That is a great idea to save thread.

Rachel said...

The only potential problem with your rearrangement (which I would go for myself in most circumstances) is that if the thread isn't the right weight it might look a little spindly with so little on the back. But that can be fixed by thread choice - it just might be worth a bit of experimenting sometimes..

Mary Ann Tate said...

Love that stitch !!!

Tanya said...

Great stitch and so good of you to figure out how not to waste thread!