Wednesday 13 February 2019

WIPW - Four Projects!

This week's Work In Progress Wednesday report tells about four new projects.

Crazy for Crazy
I have started piecing a new crazy quilt block.

Greeting Card 1
I have just selected the fabric for this one.

Greeting Card 2 - Embroidery on Felt
For this card I will work on felt and use inspiration from this book.


Greeting Card 3 - Needle Punch Embroidery
At the quilt show in Tokyo Dome I was inspired by Cecile Franconie's fluffy embroidery
to do something with my punch needle set.

Do you know about Igolochkoy, the original Russian punch needle embroidery?
You need: tightly woven fabric, a special hoop, the punch needle, a very thin and long needle threader, stranded embroidery floss

Place the fabric back side up in the hoop and stretch really drum tight. Draw the design on the back.


Use the thin and long needle threader to take one long strand of floss through the needle from the bottom to the tip. 




Then let the needle threader take the thread through the little hole at the side of the needle's tip.

You are now ready to start stitching, or rather punching the needled through the fabric.

 

Go down and up while moving a tiny step forward - imagine you are a sewing machine!
Note that this is the back.

On the front you have these loops, like a terry towel.

The back


The front.
 Once the whole area is filled I will cut some to look like fluffy velvet.
More next week.














10 comments:

crazyQstitcher said...

The fabrics for C4C look good. Those for the greeting card, interesting, and the Punch needle project will be fun to watch grow. I liked Cecile's 'fluffy embroidery' when viewing the Tokyo quilts.
I've only used a rug hook tool that looks similar but had a chunkier outcome.

Pamela said...

Four projects! I did some punch needle a long time ago, but I don't know if I still have the little tool.

Elizabeth's quarters said...

I love hearing about new ways of bonding fabric and fibres that don't use a needle, and this punch one is definitely new to me. My first impression though is that it is a bit like a cross between tambour beading and nuno felting. But I could be wrong and look forward to finding out!

Rachel said...

Punch needle does look like an interesting technique - something else to play with...!

chitra said...

four projects in progress with different techniques, very interesting and inspiring. crazy block looks attractive already. punch needle embroidery- eager to learn more. looking forward to your progress. Enjoy stitching!

Angela said...

Your CQ is going to be gorgeous. Such lovely fabrics! I have never tried punch needle embroidery. It doesn't look difficult and I bet it works up pretty quickly.

Janie said...

Wow, lots to see and think about with your four projects.
Looks like good progress and choices of color and fabric.
I'm looking forward to seeing next progress report.

FlashinScissors said...

Hi Queenie!
I’ve never felt inspired by Punchneedle before ..... now I’m thinking it looks very effective and it might just have to go on my neverending list of projects to try!
Love the colours you are using.
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Julie Fukuda said...

Looks like enough to keep you out of trouble for a while...

Tanya said...

I think I tried punch needle once... maybe it was on silk? It went quicker than my hand embroidery stitches.